JohnFrost

Members
  • Content count

    38
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10 Good

2 Followers

About JohnFrost

  • Rank
    Eggcase

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    USA
  • Interests
    My goal is to change the world of Dubia by creating a visually appealing color morph. This quest began when I started breeding B.Dubia for my girlfriend's bearded dragon. She looked at them and said "Ew, those look just like cockroaches, I'm not touching those". The search for a new girlfriend also began. It has been nearly 7 years since the first Dubia were bred for that bearded dragon, and though the girlfriend has long been forgotten, the breeding project is still going strong.

Recent Profile Visitors

2,267 profile views
  1. It's going well. I have about 230 breeders now, and have begun separating the large nymphs into a much larger grow out tank. I'm testing the set up on 150 nymphs to make sure the temperature and humidity are correct before I move any more nymphs into it, but I've used this setup before, just with a different heating pad. If this test goes well I will transition about 1000 nymphs into the setup and use them to make my next breeding colony. Any others will probably be sold as I should have a good feel for coloration after the first 1000 mature adults.
  2. I'm not exactly sure how they will be distributed, but the intention is to sell them, either myself, or more likely through a more established 3rd party. As of this point I have not sold or given any away, rather focusing on solidifying the breed and making sure they are stable. Ive begun selecting for larger size and have also seen a few females and males in F10 that appear to be unable to express black with any consistancy. This makes them even lighter than my other dubia. With 175 breeding females I could soon have more than I know what to do with, but this close to the finish line I'm in no rush to release anything other than a perfect breed.
  3. It was rough for a little bit. I had moved into an apartment from a house and needless to say, apartments are not super fond of cockroaches. I had to bring the colony down to "hide in a drawer" size for the last 8 months or so until we were able to find better living arangments. I kept 50 adults and 800 F10-1st and 2nd instar nymphs in small tubs with restricted food and no heat for the duration of our lease. After the move last month I was able to get a dedicated "Dubia Den" bug room to house my colonies and redid all the enclosures, put them back on heat, and am finally able to let them grow again. I'm up to 175 breeding females and 32 males. The male/female ratio is a little off, but I'm just glad to see new nymphs after such a long wait.
  4. Sorry I haven't been responding to all of your emails. The breeding project is on track and doing well, it's just slow work at times. I'm going to be making a dedicated room to allow for colony expansion and will continue to answer the questions you send. Thank you all for the support!
  5. That isn't a nymph on the skull, that's an adult, but I understand what color you're referring to now.
  6. Yessir. That's why they were moved before the next generation. Fortunately the kids were down for a nap and I had a solid 2 hours to clean up the mess. It gave me a reason to pull all the adults, check the counts, and upgrade the enclosures. Ultimately a momentary pucker moment ended positively.
  7. Hopefully you still have a few. I posted a pic of some of my nymphs on page 3 with a brief comment on my experience with light/orange nymphs. That may answer your question.
  8. I have never seen lavender nymphs. Would you be able to post a pic?
  9. 166 females and 34 males transitioned into a new breeding colony. The current set up should house about 1000 breeders comfortably (at the same population density as my previous colony). On a side note, heating pads under plastic tubs can cause the plastic to become brittle and the bottoms can catastrophically fail when you move them.
  10. This Generation is just getting started (I have almost 700 F9 nymphs and 48 F8 breeders still in production for another 6 months), but yes, I do have one completely light male to keep this female company. I'm aiming for the 100 best females and 30 best males to be the upcoming F9 breeders. I currently have 1 of each, but that is enough to get things started for F10. I will only be using light males for F9 breeders now that the females are more or less the color that I am looking for. It is my hope that F10 will be functionally complete as far as color stabilization and I can begin working on my next Dubia breeding project.
  11. Underside and coloration pictures.
  12. A friend loaned me a regular Dubia to show contrast. This is the first Female for F9. Almost done.
  13. A close up of a particularly light male, and a group photo
  14. The Final Breeding Colony for F8 is finished. I am fairly satisfied with the female coloration, so now I have to focus on the males a little more before the color morph will be completely stable.
  15. This picture is in response to a question about light nymphs. I have quite a few in my colony and over the years have separated them to observe their final molt. I personally have been looking for a way to identify gold/yellow adults before the final molt and thought that this may be a way to shorten the amount of time that I have to wait until I am able to make the final breeding colony for each successive generation. I was not able to find any correlation between the color of the nymph and the color expressed after the final molt. I have, however, noticed that the lighter the adults get, the lighter the nymphs appear to be getting.