Nasty scorpion...but pretty!

Matt K

Was it found in Central Valley or Guanacaste? I'd guess Centruroides margaritatus since it's one of the most commonly encountered species in Costa Rica and the granulations, dimensions and coloration seem to match.

That specimen was found in a log just 800 meters north east of Dominical on the (Pacific coast side of Costa Rica) about 100 meters from the Baru River.

That specimen was found in a log just 800 meters north east of Dominical on the (Pacific coast side of Costa Rica) about 100 meters from the Baru River.
The range map I have for that species in Costa Rica says its coastal range is only the northern half of the West coast.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know the species, but can say I think it was a male (I may have a pic of the underside to post...), and Dominical is about 1/3rd of the way up the west coast from the southern end of Costa Rica. I found the scorp and the giant grasshopper in the same 20 meters... Could this be Centruroides bicolor? or for sure C.marginatus? I may be able to provide exact GPS coordinates also if that would help.

Also did I mention the size? It was very large for a scorpion...looking for my handwritten notes....I seem to remember trying to measure it....

The range map I have for that species in Costa Rica says its coastal range is only the northern half of the West coast.