My New Hisser Nymphs

Severus

I am no longer roachless. I just got a group of hisser nymphs(Supposed to be Tiger Hissers). Most of my family thinks I have lost it(heh, just wait until my neice gets down here. She'll love them. I might just sneak one home with her.) and a couple of my coworkers thought they were neat as all get out.

They are tiny little suckers. The largest ones are about an inch and a half long. The rest are about the size of my thumbnail. They are just the cutest little things.

What do you think of them?

Roach10.jpg

Roach11.jpg

Roach14.jpg

(That is my index finger)

Roach12.jpg

Roach13.jpg

Roach6.jpg

Roach3.jpg

Roach-1.jpg

What about this guy? He looks pretty red.

Roach8.jpg

I am just facinated by them. They are just too cute for words.

Is there any special consideration for nymphs that I need to give them?

Is there any special consideration for nymphs that I need to give them?

I think you picked up a great species to begin with, unfortunately the specific coloration won't be that noticeable till a molt or two prior to adulthood. They are hardy and should do fine as long as you keep them fed and watered, the only difficult aspect can be getting the adults to have young.

I'm not that worried about babies yet, but what...difficult aspect is that?

How old do you think these guys are? The largest(shown in top pic) is about an inch and a half long. The rest almost an inch.

Also, should I be able to see what sex they are now, or will that be like the coloration, where it takes a few molts?

Heh heh. They are really neat. I like them a lot. Luckily for me, the favorite hang out seems to be right in front of the thermometer which is right next to the front of the tank.

I'm not that worried about babies yet, but what...difficult aspect is that?

They aren't as accepting of a wide range of care during gestation as normal hissers. Inadequate conditions = no young.

I'd say they're a few months old. You can tell the gender by looking at the ventral segments even when tiny (some other types of cockroaches can't be checked when small).

Oh okay. So other than good food, a clean source of plentiful water, warm temps, high humidity, safe hiding spots and some Sinatra playing in the background, what other particulars should be taken into consideration?

Okay, about sexing, I read that males will have a "narrower ventral opening" or something like that and females have a wider and somewhat upraised ventral area? Is that surefire? Of course, when they are adults I will know for sure, but I think it would be fun to guess what I have as best I can and then see when they are adults how my first-time guesses stand up.

By ventral segments, to you mean the number of segments or what I read about narrowness?

Either way, I'll be happy with whatever I end up with.

Whoo, two of the little ones escaped last night. I thought I had caulked all the holes but I missed one on the rim, that I guess thought it would have been covered by the lid...Nope.

I walked into my room and saw one on the wall of the container. I was somewhat happy to see that they were out and about, but as I went to take the lid off, I saw that it was on the outside wall. Oh crap...I flicked him off and put him back in and then dug around to count the rest. I put them in thier food dish to keep them contained and together when I count them. I found six. There should have been seven. Crap. So I put the lid on and started tapping my fingers(a nervous habit) on the table wondering how I was going to explain it to mom and the missing Seventh scurried out from under the container. YAY!

I'll be aquarium caulking the hole tonight.

I really want one of these guys to molt out. I wouldn't know, do Tiger Hissers often have almost solid red hues? This one is the only one who is mostly red. The other little ones, at the most, have little red spots.

Roach23.jpg

This is my biggest one. I like how it is turning out. Very promising.

Roach20.jpg

Roach21.jpg

Roach22.jpg

My hands really shook the first couple of times I messed with them. I wonder if I was scared. I didn't think I was. Well, what do you know. Now I am fine.

I was worried about them not eating(though the second night while checking on them, I saw one hugging the end of a broccoli stem just gnawing away. Very cute.) or being very active, but the other night I put in quite a bit of dark green lettuce and over half of it was gone in the morning, so at least I know they are eating(and what they appear to like).

• 3 weeks later...

btw the males have horns or well sort of its a large bump on the headthen females but its not a guessing game when they are adults...males have clearly larger horns then females....females jut tend to have little bumps

male!: www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-texas/MadagascarRoach.jpg

female http://www.hissingcockroach.com/Image030.jpg

Awww, they're cute! I got a bunch of (mostly) nymphs in August, and they're cute but sneeky. Two apparently escaped and I found them in my old Pokemon cards of all places O_o

• 2 weeks later...
btw the males have horns or well sort of its a large bump on the headthen females but its not a guessing game when they are adults...males have clearly larger horns then females....females jut tend to have little bumps

male!: www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-texas/MadagascarRoach.jpg

female http://www.hissingcockroach.com/Image030.jpg

Well, I know now! At least on one of them is a male. I almost dropped him because I wasn't expecting it.

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/Mok...ent=Roach53.jpg

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/Mok...ent=Roach51.jpg

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/Mok...ent=Roach50.jpg

I'm worried about one little roach though. It has not grown at all. It is still about an inch long while the others are all pushing two.