Good breeding generation..

vixvy

Hi guys,

I have a colony of orange heads. I am wondering why they are now low in nymphs production...is there a certain limit in their gene pool where they can inter breed and suddenly stop at one point of the generation?

There's a good chance all the orange head roaches in the hobby came from the same original group so if it were a genetic issue everyone (or many people if there were other lines) would have the same problem. Poor care can cause problems that roaches survive from but never truly recover, otherwise try warm temps, new cage and fruit (though they can do great fed almost entirely on dying inverts).

thanks for the replies. They are enclosed in a very big box and what I did is I separated 20pairs so they will be enough space for them to share. In general they will keep breeding? Maybe its just the temp factor that contributes to the slowing of their production.

thanks for the replies. They are enclosed in a very big box and what I did is I separated 20pairs so they will be enough space for them to share. In general they will keep breeding? Maybe its just the temp factor that contributes to the slowing of their production.

...What are the temps you keep? How often are you supplying food, and do you give them the same food or a variety? More dry or more damp? At a guess, how many in the enclosure? Post more details and the forum can give you better assistance....

;)

The temp here is between 24-29c. I give them fruits and dry foods every other day. The box that I have is like 1 square meter wide I keep like 200pcs inside. Now I started to separate them by 20pairs. I have separated 5/20 pairs so far still no activity.

The temp here is between 24-29c. I give them fruits and dry foods every other day. The box that I have is like 1 square meter wide I keep like 200pcs inside. Now I started to separate them by 20pairs. I have separated 5/20 pairs so far still no activity.

One meter square is plenty of room for all 200. You could probably keep 800-1000 in that tub comfortably. I would put them all together and only feed them once a week. Mine seem to do best when slightly neglected. They get a chance to get a little hungry and a little thirsty and dry then I add some food, water, and dampen about half of the substrate. In my case, a week or so later the box is dry, there is no trace of food, and they are in/out of the dry substrate. Then I repeat the process. Sometimes I let them go two weeks before food and water. They appear to make more offspring than when I give them constant attention. My other Eublaberus seem to do even better with more neglect.

Disturbing them / handling them may slow down thier reproduction. Keeping them fairly dark also seems to help.