Four similar Blaberus species

Matt K

In poker it would be "four of a kind". ;)

I thought it would be interesting to compare these this afternoon. Here we can see the differences and similarities in these four Blaberus species:

Blaberuscomparisonoffour.jpg

Enjoy!

That is awesome! Literally. I am in awe. At first glance they all look the same. When you actually LOOK you see the variations. That is TOO cool!

Despite the obvious slight(to my eyes) variations, how do you tell them apart? If someone were to put these four species in front of you, what would you look for in determining the species?

Those are all very cool! Now I think I will look at B. discoidalis in a new light. My personal favorite from the pics above: B. parabolicus - because it's chunky and fat in appearance, and practically forces me to think it's cuter than the others! :lol: Although when I look at them closely, each species has it's own beauty - judging from these great photos!

Keep up the great work Matt, I am loving each and every photo you post! Thank you for posting them!

(Man, I must be in a good mood tonight! Might have something to do with having Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow! Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!)

If someone were to put these four species in front of you, what would you look for in determining the species?

The B.parabolicus are way bigger than the other three and pretty easy to pick out. While there are some minor differences in color you may be able to guess by with the other species the only definite way would be to dissect a male and match it's genitalia up to a paper with photos or line drawings of the genitalia for that species.

The B.parabolicus are way bigger than the other three and pretty easy to pick out. While there are some minor differences in color you may be able to guess by with the other species the only definite way would be to dissect a male and match it's genitalia up to a paper with photos or line drawings of the genitalia for that species.

Orin has an excellent point- While B.parabolicus can mostly be picked out by its shape, and B.bolivianus has a unique dark spot with two red eye-dots in it, even they can have individuals that look like the others: B. discoidalis and B. atropos which while having some differences in my pic, can have individuals that look extremely similar if not identical. Dissection in the only way to be positive.....

So, are the eye dots on most strains of B. boliviensis?

I am not aware of B. boliviensis having strains, just the one specie with no morphs. Any that I have seen have the spots, and those range from barely visible to bright red circles.

*** ORIN- any input on this ??