Non burrowers

Are there any other non-burrowing, non-climbing feeder species people use than lateralis? I live in an apartment and an infestation could get me evicted. I don't trust lateralis especially from what I have been hearing. Young blaberus just burrow and are hard for amphibs to find in substrate.

Are there any other non-burrowing, non-climbing feeder species people use than lateralis? I live in an apartment and an infestation could get me evicted. I don't trust lateralis especially from what I have been hearing. Young blaberus just burrow and are hard for amphibs to find in substrate.

No, that's the only one in the hobby. The only other roach that is a high profile, non-burrower that can't climb is B.orientalis which is a far worse pest.

Can't E. decipiens climb though?

Yeagh, I lost track as I considered the answer. I was just thinking of species that can't burrow.

Assuming you toss non-climbing out of the equation...how do E. decipiens and Panchlora nivea do? Are they prolfiic enough to match the more common feeder roaches?

Actually, any roach is prolific enough. It depends on colony size. If a roach can produce 200 nymphs a year, you need a smaller colony. If a roach only produces 15 nymphs a year, you need a huge colony. Either way if you have enough of the specie, you will have enough production. So it really boils down to what roach you like! For me that's all of them... :lol:

Assuming you toss non-climbing out of the equation...how do E. decipiens and Panchlora nivea do? Are they prolfiic enough to match the more common feeder roaches?

Panchlora are quite prolific and easy. E. decipiens are prolific but aren't especially accepting of abuse. Older cultures would barely survive but after enough generations they seem to do very well.

Panchlora are quite prolific and easy. E. decipiens are prolific but aren't especially accepting of abuse. Older cultures would barely survive but after enough generations they seem to do very well.

Gyna lurida may be another option. Mine have been reproducing pretty fast. If not that I would also recommend the Panchlora.

And the cost of starting a massive colony...which for B. lateralis is cheap because people's pets like them but people generally arent fond of them!

So is their, then, a nonclimbing, small/soft species similar to lateralis that is prolific? Lets throw burrowing out for a bit.

I think I may go with Panchlora, but man setting up a sizeable colony will be expensive/time consuming.

And the cost of starting a massive colony...which for B. lateralis is cheap because people's pets like them but people generally arent fond of them!

So is their, then, a nonclimbing, small/soft species similar to lateralis that is prolific? Lets throw burrowing out for a bit.

I think I may go with Panchlora, but man setting up a sizeable colony will be expensive/time consuming.

...and you do not want lobster roaches ?? Easy, soft, reproduce quick, tiny vaseline barrier and they stay put.

Panchlora grow pretty quick, so one culture starter will get you going as fast as anything else. Nymphs dont go anywhere but adult can fly and are good at finding cracks to escape from...

Formosan sand roach is a smaller, nonclimbing species that's prolific.

Aren't lobsters also known to infest? I've heard people saying they are tough to keep contained.

They might make a home in a greenhouse or animal room but not a normal home or building.