Lobsters vs. Turks

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum (was shown this website on the BeardedDragon.org forum) and have a lot of roach raising questions.

I currently have a bin of lobster roaches. I started off with 1000 but the population has greatly dwindled. I am now having to feed the adults off to my bearded dragon.

Basically here is my question. Because I am a poor college student, I need to be as economical as I can when it comes to caring for my Bearded Dragon (obviously without cutting corners though).

I know that I can get 1000 lobster roaches for $29 at http://www.aaronpauling.com

I also know I can get 1000 turkistan roaches for $17.50 at http://www.thebugpros.com

I'm wondering what people here think I should do.

I do have an under the tank heater for the lobster roaches and a 150 watt light (unfortunately it's a white light but the bin does stay dark-ish) to heat them up. (The UTH is the smallest one zoo med makes which is the only one they say works with plastic tubs. Anyone know of a stronger UTH that wont melt the plastic? the 10-20 gallon size one perhaps?)

So basically here are my list of questions

1) Should I continue working with my lobsters and try to build up that colony or switch to turkistans?

2) Is it true that an adult turkistan is about half the size of an adult lobster roach? (if that's the case, then it's not worth it i dont think)

3) What are some pros and cons to either species?

4) Is there any way that I can put 1 or 2 thousand turks in with 200 or so adult lobsters that I have remaining? (that's if i decide to go the turkistan route)

thanks a lot for your help,

Brian

1) Should I continue working with my lobsters and try to build up that colony or switch to turkistans?

2) Is it true that an adult turkistan is about half the size of an adult lobster roach? (if that's the case, then it's not worth it i dont think)

3) What are some pros and cons to either species?

4) Is there any way that I can put 1 or 2 thousand turks in with 200 or so adult lobsters that I have remaining? (that's if i decide to go the turkistan route)

1. If possible try both, it's always good to have multiple feeders to use for reptiles and feeder colonies fluctuate.

2. Turkistans are smaller than lobsters, what about B.disoidalis or B.dubia?

3. Turkistans can't climb, lobsters are great feeders

4. Turkistans lay eggcases which the lobsters might eat all of. I say try a larger live bearing feeder.

• 1 month later...

why I prefer Turks over Lob's

1-non-climber, and thats a big plus for me. Saves time worrying and saves money. It may not be alot of money but lets face it. We raise roaches to give our Pets great food and to save money.

2. Easy to Sex. one has wings, one doesn't. one is reddish, one is blondish. Couldn't get easier than that.

3. I like a slightly smaller roach. I am not feeding something like an adult beardie that could swallow down a 2 inch roach easily. I have a panther chameleon and even though he could probaly eat a 2 incher I prefer to keep him eating a smaller roach, just to avoid the possability of choking. Plus, the more roaches he eats the more njoyment i get out of seeing him eat.

4. Speed. many pet owners have had great success with turks enticing their picky eating pets because those little guys, when dropped into a cage hit the ground running and they hit it fast. Many sick animals have been brought back to health because of the speed of this roach. I believe excersize is something that is largely overlooked for herps and other roach eating pets. In my opinion letting feeders free range is important. Your pet should have to work for his meal, just like in the wild. We spend money on their lighting, vitamins, enclosure, all to recreate their environment. But sometimes we forget that their muscles need a workout. there is nothing more entertaining that watching an animal hunt a fast moving roach.

5. Bravery, call it bravery, call it stupidity but the Turk does not hide, it scrambles to and fro. Alot of roaches when dropped into a cage will look for something to hide under or burrow right into the substrate, lobs do this. turks, not so much. this is good because you don't want a sleeping pet to get knawed on by a raoch that went into hiding 2 days ago and is just now getting revenge on your sleepins pets eyelids or lips.

6. nutrition. lats are actually a tad more nutritious than lobs, bother are great, lats just a tad better.

7. Breeding. many claim that the lobs are the king of breeding. yes lobs breed very fast but lats can hold their own with lobs any day of the week.

• 3 weeks later...

The only problem I've had with turks is that my critters like them so much I could never keep them around long enough to breed. I dumped a few nymphs into my lobster colony...we'll see what happens.

Panther chams have trouble with adult lobsters? I was hoping to use the lobsters to feed redeyes(so far their nymphs seem to work ok)...

• 5 months later...

I am currently keeping lobsters and I really like them---so does my beardie and turtles.

They are EASY to keep.

Don't smell.

Easy to keep from climbing.

Breed VERY quickly and have live birth.

High meat ratio

[/quote

You do realize this is from Dec 7 2007? Anyways wonder what he got?