B. giganteus molt

vfox

One of my B. giganteus finally molted into adulthood! It's a tad larger than my fusca hybrids, and it's head is pretty large compared to theirs, almost bulbous in fact. Anyway, I just need one other to molt and I can start to get giganteus youngins! :)

8au6rfl.jpg

Yargh, it didn't live more than a day. It never fully expanded its wings, or even hardened its exoskeleton and it died. Very frustrating when you're working with such a small(3 left) colony of them.

Yargh, it didn't live more than a day. It never fully expanded its wings, or even hardened its exoskeleton and it died. Very frustrating when you're working with such a small(3 left) colony of them.

....I wondered about that. It looked to have tried to molt in a confined area and could not extend its wings out. The coloration in the photo shows it began to harded off with the 'curly wings'. I somehow don't think that had anything to do with its death though.

B.giganteus have a difficult time on the final molt if they aren't provided an upright molting surface. That one looks like it died from its molting difficulty as a result of temperature, moltings surfaces, etc. but that species does also die sometimes for no reason at maturity.

When I finally found a correctly molted female I literally jumped for joy. XD

Try adding a vertical log to the enclosure. Maybe a few of them actually.

Mine all molt just fine. I use egg cartons standing on edge or leaning against the side of thier tub.