Veggie treats

Chris Driggers

Anyone else feed veggies with any regularity? I am currently down to 2 species, B. lateralis and B. dubia, and I have found that they seem to breed a bit better on a higher protien dry food, and citrus fruits once a week or so. However I tried giving them some yellow squash and cucumber(my mom has extras from her garden), and I saw an even bigger increase in the numbers of both species. I never saw much of a population explosion when I was using carrots.

Anyone else tried squash and/or cucumber? Did you notice a big difference? Anything else that seems to affect the population explosion in the same way?

Chris

I noticed a difference with the citrus fruits. My dubia really like oranges and it seems like I have more babies pop out when I put the oranges in. I put oranges in once a week and let them stay in for a few days. They also really like banana but not squash or sweet potato too much for some reason. I'm still experimenting with different fruits and veggies. None of my roaches like mushrooms.

I feed my roaches (all types) a steady diet of romaine lettuce. I add some Kibbles and bits dogfood to balance it out and during the week i usually throw in leftover foods, apples, oranges, whatever else i'm eating. they eat it all, and thusar that diet has worked very well as my Hissing roaches, death heads, B. dubia's, and lobster roaches all thrive, while my giganteus and p. nivea do alright too (albeit with more focus on fruits and such than dogfood).

the best part about the lettuce is that most of the time it just dries out like bread and rot doesn't become an issue. Melons, strawberries, and fruit tend to rot almost immediately, especially during the summer. They also attract more flies.

I found some dry veggies at the pet store. It's parrot food but roaches love it! I've also seen dried veggies at the supermarket sometimes. I'm going on a 2 week vacation in November with no roach sitter so I've been looking for nutritious foods that don't rot and will last till I get back.

Hamlet and Laertes always get some kind of veggies with their dry cat food (usually Romain lettuce or baby spinach). Anything I could give them as a treat?

Hamlet and Laertes always get some kind of veggies with their dry cat food (usually Romain lettuce or baby spinach). Anything I could give them as a treat?
Most roaches love chowing down on beetle jellies.

It doesn't seem to affect breeding much but they enjoy them like nothing else.

Most roaches love chowing down on beetle jellies.

It doesn't seem to affect breeding much but they enjoy them like nothing else.

Thats neat to know Orin. I have always been meaning to buy some beetle jellies from you...I thought it would be a nice treat for them. I bet one container could be spread out to multiple roach buckets as a treat.... I though baby food might be good also... or soem of that eyelash gecko premade diet.

Graham

• 1 month later...