Breeding glow spots

Roachsmith

• 2 weeks later...
Cool thanks!

I am finding that they do better for me if they are more damp than more dry regarding substrate moisture conditions. If they are too dryish for too long the female would abort the ootheca, and not if damp. Now I grow some ivy in thier enclosure to monitor the moisture level....keeping the plant watered one one end of the cage seems to keep the whole thing right.

Anyone else have any input or experience with this issue?

• 2 weeks later...
I am finding that they do better for me if they are more damp than more dry regarding substrate moisture conditions. If they are too dryish for too long the female would abort the ootheca, and not if damp. Now I grow some ivy in thier enclosure to monitor the moisture level....keeping the plant watered one one end of the cage seems to keep the whole thing right.

Anyone else have any input or experience with this issue?

A part of my colony is from a guy who keeps them on moist cocofiber. He, however, got them from a person who kept them on oatmeal, which is just fine for a lot of species but not for glowpots. The glowspots were surviving on the oatmeal, but not very well. He had some dead ones and only two nymphs in about a half year.

I keep them on moist cocofiber as well. I also have some rotten wood in their terra. Thay crawl in the cracks and eat the wood. The cocofiber is more or less beginning to mix with tiny wood chips. They also like to climb from time to time on the wood, but only when the lights are out. They are doing great, I already have seen some nymphs which are very active. I give them pond flakes and apple as their staple diet. Anyone more suggestions for food?

Thanks for the info. I'm keeping mine on about a 5" layer of peat moss and leaf mulch/hardwood mix. I haven't been disturbing them at all and I can see them through the glass in their little burrows sometimes. I'm going to bump up the moisture a little bit though. Thanks for the tip.

I'm keeping them in a medium plastic box, in a moss substrate mixed with bleech and oaks old leaves.

Half of the moss is wet, the rest is dry and warmed.

My glowspots prefers to stay buried in the dry substrate during the day, but they mess up the wet every night.

I also feed them with pond sticks and apple.

They seem to be well... two weeks ago I had my first nymphs... 20 or so...