How often do you feed your roaches?

JSUN

Not as much as I should :( I need to stop being so lazy. BTW, has anyone noticed how roaches tend to go for certain foods first? I know with my hissers, they tend to go straight for the carrots, then lettuce, then finally catfood. Do other species do this?

Not as much as I should :( I need to stop being so lazy. BTW, has anyone noticed how roaches tend to go for certain foods first? I know with my hissers, they tend to go straight for the carrots, then lettuce, then finally catfood. Do other species do this?

I have seen this too.

As far as how ofthen I feed on an irregular schedule. Sometimes daily, sometimes once a week, sometimes every other day (probably every 2-3 days most of the time).

Depends on my work schedule. I'm gone for 2 weeks at a time...so, when I'm home I feed them well... every 3-4 days... and when I'm gone, they eat the dried food (ie. roach diet & cat food) in their dishes. All my cages have dried leaves and rotten wood in them...

They all seem to be doing fine on this schedule.

I feed mine every 3 days or so but I also keep dry food as a constant. I toss in a cut apple or whatever ruffage I have that day, and keep a steady supply of dog food and water crystals in the tank.

With an esthablished colony I feed them when I feel like it, or when a bunch of kitchen scrapes are to be thrown away. Most of the time, this is three or four times a week. A new colony gets food everyday. In this way I can spend much time with the new roachies so I can see them a lot. Also I can estimate properly what amount of food they will eat.

I try to change the fruit/veggy every 3 or 4 days. I leave a staple helping of dry dog-fish flake-wheat-oat-cherios-cricket meal blend food every week or when the can is low. I also leave a sperate helping of water (crystals - which are the best and easiest for any feeding of insects) in another bowl. So I have 1 can/bowl of water crystals and 1 can/bowl of staple diet that I change whenever low which is generally 5-7 days and a so called fresh fruit/veggies/table scraps that are renewed every 3-4 days.

After reading all of your diligent practices, I should perhaps report myself to the SPCA (Society that Protects Cockroach Addicts) as I must confess I only feed my colonies once a week! :P:o

I top up the dry food, and remove the soggy fruit remains which is replaced with slices of banana, carrots and sometimes, watermelon. No scraps for my roaches, but simply because opening 13 Rubbermaids to toss left-overs in sounds like a mountain of work.

Two problems can occur with this frequency, however:

1. If no heating pads are in place, the dry food slowly gathers mould

2. If the pads are on, the colonies need extra water or crystals as one saucer cannot last a week.

Hope this helps...

I don't have as many colonies to open up and mess with (for know at least :) ) so I feed mine every other day. I keep a dry food (alternate between cat food and koi veggies and fruit pellets) in there constantly and oak/maple leaves. About every other day I give them some apples, carrots, sweet potato, bananas, orange, or something else to give them some variety and moisture. I also throw some Indian rice grass in there if I can find it when I’m out playing around in the hills.

I don't have as many colonies to open up and mess with (for know at least :) ) so I feed mine every other day. I keep a dry food (alternate between cat food and koi veggies and fruit pellets) in there constantly and oak/maple leaves. About every other day I give them some apples, carrots, sweet potato, bananas, orange, or something else to give them some variety and moisture. I also throw some Indian rice grass in there if I can find it when I’m out playing around in the hills.

Huh..interesting. I have been growing wheat grass for juicing for myself.... I may toss some in and see if the eat it. Not sure why not....

:blink:

And yesterday I threw in some old cooked rotini I had in the fridge... oh man, within ten minutes it was totally gone. I was weird, the white ones went first, then the spinich ones, then the tomato ones.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A little bit off subject but wanted to make the observation that my 20-30 cricket colony seems to eat a whole lot more than my supposed 100 roach Dubia colony :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

My crickets eat more than my roaches too. I guess roaches are more of grazers, while crickets eat a lot in a smaller period of time. I feed my roaches, on average, every other day. I try to vary the food and only offer the same thing once or twice a week.