Orange head help!

Roachsmith

I'm new to orange heads and I have a few questions about them. I recieved some nymphs in the mail today. They didn't seem to be moving too much and I figured they were probably cold. I put them in their tank with a bit of peat moss substrate and they are all just sitting on top of the substrate not moving. They're not dead just not very active. Is that normal for these guys? I raised the temp in there to about 80 degrees and still not much movement. I have one sitting on my knee right now and he's just hanging out, not trying to run away.

Are orange heads supposed to be that calm? I'm kind of worried about them. :(

i think that you should be worry, because they sounded like they are suffering from a freeze. I think that your package might have gone thru an area where it gotten really cold and it must've affected the roaches.

at 80 F and they are not moving? to be honest, I don't think that they are going to make it.

if they start to eat, then things might get better. good luck and keep us posted

i think that you should be worry,.....

I agree. I have kept Orangeheads longer than any other (they were my first :) ) and they are very durable and easy to keep, and VERY active at moderate to warm temps. If they are not moving much at all at room temp, I would not expect them to make it. If they just got too cold to move then they would be back to normal after 30 minutes to an hour. Too cold to live is another story.....

...Still a chance they will live, but its small.

I've been keeping them at a steady 90 degrees and I was happy to see at least a few of them wandering around the tank this morning. Most of them have burried themselves which is a good sign. I dug some of them up yesterday and there were only two that seemed to be not moving much or are dead. I left them in to make sure (a few others I thought were dead have moved since I warmed up the tank).

I think they might make it but they still don't seem as lively as they should be. I will keep an eye on them though and let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

If Orange heads are a synonyme for Eublaberus posticus then I may have a possible cure.

I bought a colony which was not very active. The nymphs grew up to adulthood so I thought they were doing okay. I had some newborn nymphs but not even enough to sustain the colony. After some experimenting I tried a bird cage bottle in which I stuffed some paper tissues to prevent nymphs from drowning. Since then my colony is active and I can see regularly new born nymphs. I can also see the water level diminish and the roaches do actively drink. I was hoping that the wing biting would diminish but unfortunately it is as bad as before.

• 4 weeks later...
If Orange heads are a synonyme for Eublaberus posticus then I may have a possible cure.

I bought a colony which was not very active. The nymphs grew up to adulthood so I thought they were doing okay. I had some newborn nymphs but not even enough to sustain the colony. After some experimenting I tried a bird cage bottle in which I stuffed some paper tissues to prevent nymphs from drowning. Since then my colony is active and I can see regularly new born nymphs. I can also see the water level diminish and the roaches do actively drink. I was hoping that the wing biting would diminish but unfortunately it is as bad as before.

What about Fish flakes to help with increased protein, Maarten?

• 2 weeks later...
What about Fish flakes to help with increased protein, Maarten?

Sorry for the late response.

I have very good experiences with fish flakes and give it to all my roaches. Some eat more of the stuff, others eat less. Posticus simply devour the flakes so I gave it al along. The colony only started to flourish when I insured the acces to a constant water supply.

@ roachsmith: How's the colony going on nowadays?