Pics showing males and females requested..

Huntsman

I am starting to feed my roaches to my inverts, and would appreciate photos of the males and the females of the following species, so as to not feed off the females in error!! :blink::rolleyes:

E. chopardi

P. pallida

S. tartara / B. lateralis / S. lateralis (Depending on whom you ask!)

Cheers! :P

Hi EffeCi

That's great, thank you. :) BTW Is the male always paler? Also, once the oetheca drops, am I supposed to get rid of it when cleaning? I never know when the nymphs are born, or still inside! :P

Now for the rest of the species..! :lol:

Yes, the male is always fully winged and light brown.

Eggcases are dropped after some days and take from 30 to 45 days or more to hatch (it depends from temperature). You have to rescue them if you clean the tank.

Hatched eggcases are open and very light... they fly off if you breath.

Very difficult to see if a specimen of Phoetalia pallida is male or female from a picture... and it's so reproductive that using females instead of males to feed is not a problem.

Like Madagascar Hissers, Elliptorhina chopardi's males are more "horned" than females.

Bye

Franco

I assume that in Phoetalia pallida, thick specimens are the females. The abdomen comes slightly further than their wings. The males are more slender and their wings fully cover the abdomen. This is just my own observation.

I can't promise to make some pictures because these roaches are very fast and my digital camera was bought a few years B.C. ;)

Hey Franco ~

Thanks once again. I have avoided cleaning out some of the colonies because of the danger of dumping viable oethecas, but now it's clear! ;)

Franco & Maarten,,, the males are extremely different to females. :o The males are slim, and a golden colour with a darker head and longish wings, whilst the females are more rounded and almost 'ribbed' in a uniform chocolate/rust colour.

Here's a pic that shows the males clearly, and the females are noticeably different... :)

http://www.bidabug.org/Forum/index.php?sho...&hl=pallida

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Franco ~

Thanks once again. I have avoided cleaning out some of the colonies because of the danger of dumping viable oethecas, but now it's clear! ;)

Franco & Maarten,,, the males are extremely different to females. :o The males are slim, and a golden colour with a darker head and longish wings, whilst the females are more rounded and almost 'ribbed' in a uniform chocolate/rust colour.

Here's a pic that shows the males clearly, and the females are noticeably different... :)

http://www.bidabug.org/Forum/index.php?sho...&hl=pallida

Great pics.... good reference.