Pix of new roach enclosures

• 2 months later...
Those are some pretty large cages. What species are they for?

I notice your avatar is broken.

Large cages? Those are 'regular' size for me. I use 20 gallon tubs up to 45 gallon tubs (180 quart) for most of my species, with a few in 10 gallon size. Here is one corner of my tub-crowded room with the 20 gallons:

(Small containers have tarantulas or other 'bugs')

Jan2708096.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I REALLY didn't like the cardboard egg cartons...they can get moldy plus you have to keep buying new ones every time you clean..I know it's not that often but still :rolleyes: ...anyway I got 16' of 3" PVC pipe and cut it into 1' sections and then glued them together in 4 rows of 4 and then stacked them to make a fake hive for my Dubias..when you clean you just take them out and dump out the roaches 1 section at a time and then rinse them off (the pipes not the roaches :P )...don't glue each level, just stack..I glued the rows so they wouldn't shift and accidently crush the Dubia. I took a small sanding disk and ruffed them up to make them easy to climb too. Used Aquarium safe glue.

post-368-1220623550_thumb.jpgpost-368-1220719292_thumb.jpg So what do you think of my setup?

post-368-1222038106_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty cool, drasar...well done!

Was wondering if there could be a few 'entrances' cut into the pipe at intervals to facilitate access to the roaches? Once they're in to those pipes, they pack in pretty tight, I've noticed. Would also give them the space required to build communities...??

Just a thought. :P

I'm still trying to figure out what I can use to cut a hole in PVC pipe large enough to fit an adult Dubia...None of my Drill bits are anywhere big enough..don't want to have to drill and then file by hand that many holes.

I'm still trying to figure out what I can use to cut a hole in PVC pipe large enough to fit an adult Dubia...None of my Drill bits are anywhere big enough..don't want to have to drill and then file by hand that many holes.

Use a Jig Saw...(not sure what that's called in the U$A, but it's a thin blade on a power saw that can cut around bends, etc.) :D

Cut out wedges the shape of Orange Segments, and Voila!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting update...seems the Dubs are packing themselves into the spaces between the pipes so far..a few are actually in the pipes but most are in the areas beside and under and over them..thought this was interesting :huh:

I wish they would hurry up and start breeding ;) ..and BTW I posted an updated pict of the enclosure..with the others. I also put in much shallower feeding dishes, think some of them were having troubles getting into the older ones..