Gyna lurida eating

Maarten..

Some of my Gyna lurida eating a piece of apple. ...

Excellent photos !! This is a fine example of documenting clearly the captive husbandry of a specie. Lets see more !

I'm not sure about pink...? G.capucina is pink though. They do occur in yellow though. Orin has a nice pic on his site. Someone was working on creating an entire yellow colony though, can't recall who.

Are these the ones that sometimes are found in yellow and pink?

Really?! How do they get pink or yellow? And how would one breed a colony all yellow with success?

OOOOH this is soooooo exciting! *Jumps up and down like a boingy* :P I wanna see pics! In the mean time I shall search Google for some. Wish me luck!

th_sau22.jpg.gif

Really?! How do they get pink or yellow? And how would one breed a colony all yellow with success?

As Bugmanprice mentioned the pink Gyna is Gyna capucina, NOT Gyna lurida. G. capucina are always pink.

The yellow form of G. lurida normally pops up from time to time and maybe one out of 50 or so will be yellow. I've been working on isolating the yellow form and right now they throw about 50/50. A few years and they'll 99% breed true but then it's time to isolate the yellow in the yellow form. The yellow form has varying amounts of brown so some individuals have a bit of brown in the yellow like on the allpet roaches page while others are 95% screamin yellow. Interestingly the word lurida is latin for yellow.

OOOOH this is soooooo exciting! *Jumps up and down like a boingy* :P I wanna see pics! In the mean time I shall search Google for some. Wish me luck!

Here is the link t the pics I posted of a few of my yellow ones:

http://www.bidabug.org/Forum/index.php?showtopic=968