(Might) be headin to Florida...

Zephyr

I need help finding a good airline with low-priced round trip tickets. :P

I'm going to search around for some new roaches to introduce to the hobby. Let's face it, the stuff we've got right now is getting kinda "stale." Any species I should keep an eye out for?

I need help finding a good airline with low-priced round trip tickets. :P

I'm going to search around for some new roaches to introduce to the hobby. Let's face it, the stuff we've got right now is getting kinda "stale." Any species I should keep an eye out for?

Florida? What species do you expect to find there that would be new to the hobby?

Well, I haven't seen any Periplaneta fuliginosa around, or any of that skunk roach strain from the keys that retains the juvenile coloration.

All you had to do was ask ;) ...cheaper than airfare! Both are readily available now I believe... though I did just destroy alot of surplus Periplaneta, but the colony is very strong....

Are you going to the Keys? Theres a neat little roach in Key West called Holocompsa nitidula. A sand roach is found in Florida called Arenivaga floridensis. One species found from Texas to Florida that's pretty neat is Aglaopteryx gemma and there are a few Parcoblatta that range into Florida. I've not seen living specimens of the above three listed species and it may be very difficult to locate any of them. The most impressive and hard to obtain roach in Florida was Hemiblabera tenebricosa but they appear to be well established in culture now (from the type location rather that FL).

Are there any photos of Holocompsa nitidula. or Aglaopteryx gemma ????

I can't find any online, and if they are pretty neat I would like to see one!

I have some B/W drawings of them in an out-of-print book (the book also contains representative drawings of Parcoblatta, Arenivaga and some others) but have not seen them in color. They are small species, Holocompsa is barely 1/3 of an inch but both are very unique looking.

I have some B/W drawings of them in an out-of-print book (the book also contains representative drawings of Parcoblatta, Arenivaga and some others) but have not seen them in color. They are small species, Holocompsa is barely 1/3 of an inch but both are very unique looking.

I'm heading to St. Augustine, I think. I'll be looking for Florida blue garter snakes *Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis* as well. Does this seem like a good place to find those species you mentioned Orin?

• 1 year later...
Alright, this fell through. lol

However, my friend has a house in Ft. Lauderdale (sp?) that I'm, for sure, heading to this spring. Let's hope I can round up something! :P

Im only able to find skunk roaches, and the american cockroach, I have, however found deaths heads and p.nivea. I am far sound (but on the mainland) so those are all I find around here, somehow I have been finding hissers lately around my house :rolleyes:

Alright, this fell through. lol

However, my friend has a house in Ft. Lauderdale (sp?) that I'm, for sure, heading to this spring. Let's hope I can round up something! :P

The blue striped garter is Thamnophis sirtalis similis and it can only be found on the Western side of Florida. Ft. Lauderdale has lots of iguanas though.

Cheers,

Nathanael

The blue striped garter is Thamnophis sirtalis similis and it can only be found on the Western side of Florida. Ft. Lauderdale has lots of iguanas though.

Cheers,

Nathanael

I was going to be looking for the Florida blue color form of T. s. sirtalis.

Similis are too "lanky" looking for me. :P

My friend says there's an iguana that sits on his porch that he just cannot catch. I can feel the injuries already. :P