North American beauty

Matt K

How can you not just love the roaches that can be in your own postal code... :P

Female Parcoblatta latta (or lata), past few days I have been really enjoying these. They feed on the local wood decaying, but you can bet they love fruits and dry fish food also. I gathered some up a while back and they seem to becoming established as a contained colony fairly well.

Parcoblattalattafemale.jpg

In 33 years of buggin' I've only ever seen a roach "in the wild" half a dozen times. The first was on a collecting trip in Arizona. We were night collecting in Madera Canyon (Santa Rita Mtns.), near the lodge.

The second was at a restaurant in Portland, Oregon. One of our friends was not to pleased at the roach that crawled across her dinner plate. I'm pretty easy going about germs and bugs, so I'd probably have eaten whatever was on the plate (Indian food). My friend and his wife were less than thrilled, however, and didn't finish either of their meals and demanded a refund for the entire dinner (but only got a refund for the one plate). I was disappointed at the entire scene, but the worst part...yep, you probably guessed it. The roach GOT AWAY!!! (later on, I made better friends ;) )

And then I saw a few in my parents' yard in Mexico.

And in Maui, a year ago (<see my avatar?).

And maybe a few other less than memorable times.

Slugs and snails in my backyard, currently!

Peter

Nice roach there, Matt ~ don't think I've seen one before... :)

Do you guys know of a smallish roach with a prominent red head and black body, endemic to Southern Africa?

I have them wondering about at home (not over my plates, Peter) and will try to grab a few pics asap. Problem is, they are very quick so the attempt could be great fun!! :P

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

How can you not just love the roaches that can be in your own postal code... tongue.gif

Female Parcoblatta latta (or lata), past few days I have been really enjoying these. They feed on the local wood decaying, but you can bet they love fruits and dry fish food also. I gathered some up a while back and they seem to becoming established as a contained colony fairly well.

Parcoblattalattafemale.jpg

She IS beautiful! Your post is almost 6 years old. Do you still have them? I hope they've long and healthy lives. Where do you live? I'm in central New York and the only locals I have are German. I rescue them from a friends house and keep them in tanks. It feels rewarding since they're the kind everyone wants to kill.

In 33 years of buggin' I've only ever seen a roach "in the wild" half a dozen times. The first was on a collecting trip in Arizona. We were night collecting in Madera Canyon (Santa Rita Mtns.), near the lodge.

The second was at a restaurant in Portland, Oregon. One of our friends was not to pleased at the roach that crawled across her dinner plate. I'm pretty easy going about germs and bugs, so I'd probably have eaten whatever was on the plate (Indian food). My friend and his wife were less than thrilled, however, and didn't finish either of their meals and demanded a refund for the entire dinner (but only got a refund for the one plate). I was disappointed at the entire scene, but the worst part...yep, you probably guessed it. The roach GOT AWAY!!! (later on, I made better friends wink.gif )

And then I saw a few in my parents' yard in Mexico.

And in Maui, a year ago (<see my avatar?).

And maybe a few other less than memorable times.

Slugs and snails in my backyard, currently!

Peter

What kind did you find in Arizona? I imagine American and maybe Oriental are there? I'm glad to hear the roach in the restaurant got away!! After 40 years of watching Raid commercials and seeing them slaughtered by exterminators and the like, any news of a roach getting away is wonderful.