Cockroach disappointment

Some cockroaches I've heard about or read about haven't really delivered in real life, others have greatly excelled (I had no idea P.septentrionalis looked neat, let alone so spectacular from the line drawings I had). I had seen pictures of Oxyhaloa duesta and thought it was a pretty neat looking roach but figured it was about the size of a lobster so it didn't really come to the top of my list, but it was still something I was looking forward to checking out. I finally saw some in real life and while they may be a little neater looking than the pictures they are tiny - they make pallids look big. :blink: Anyone else have experience finding a roach more or less spectacular than expected/hyped?

Some cockroaches I've heard about or read about haven't really delivered in real life, others have greatly excelled (I had no idea P.septentrionalis looked neat, let alone so spectacular from the line drawings I had). I had seen pictures of Oxyhaloa duesta and thought it was a pretty neat looking roach but figured it was about the size of a lobster so it didn't really come to the top of my list, but it was still something I was looking forward to checking out. I finally saw some in real life and while they may be a little neater looking than the pictures they are tiny - they make pallids look big. :blink: Anyone else have experience finding a roach more or less spectacular than expected/hyped?

I have been told size doesn't matter.... :lol:

Seriously, though, I understand because (though I love all roaches equally) because some do look better in real life than photos imply and others are...not what one expects. It is difficult to get the scale of the roach in a photo. I would love to have Ellipsidion australe (sp?) but have imagined it to be an inch or two in size, only to find out they are no bigger (even a bit smaller) than Pseudomops sp.

Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I think all roaches are cool and beautiful :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Nothing big, but 3 (now 2) of my craniifer were 1 instar smaller than I had ordered. Of course, James giving me 2 extra definately makes up for it. Parcoblatta also lived a shorter time than I had thought. I can't believe the size of those Ellipsidion, the site made no indication that they are so tiny!

Not necessarily a size issue, but I wish my harlequin roaches weren't so skittish and able to climb glass. Always makes me nervous when doing cage work on them.

I've never had too much trouble with my harlequins. Now my pallids... Usually I open up the lid and they all come out of nowhere!

My G. lurida spend all their time hiding unless I disturb them. Then 1 or 2 will make a couple of quick runs (less than a 2" run) across the top of the substrate and dive back unerneath. I've tried wet and dry and moderate dampness. High and low humidity. Light, gloom and dark have been tried. I tried giving them some sphagnum moss cover so they would feel secure enough to come out at least a little bit-nope. My first batch of them matured with some nice yellow markings but were all female and died barren, still hiding under the substrate. My next batch seems to be clinging to nymph-hood with a vengeance. The little colony is basically a pet jar of substrate.

Hello,

I thought T. petiveriana was bigger, like B. dubia. Also, I had the same "problem" with G. lurida. Have you spected a smaller roach and then, was bigger?

Best regards,

Javier.

I'm hoping my Hemiblabera tenebricosa will be like that. :P

Hello,

Zephyr, you´re lucky man! :P . I have a question: how long are Archiblatta hoeveni? I think they´re as long as medium G. portentosa (2 inches).

Best regards,

Javier.

I saw a movie on youtube; they looked almost A. tesselata sized!

• 4 years later...

Peter sent about 10-12 Ergaula Capucina as a birthday present when I bought a Gold Knee tarantula off him, and the E. Capucina turned out to be some of the most stunning colorations I'd seen.

They're really nice to handle, skiddish at first but quick to calm.

I doubted beetle-mimic roaches before this batch.