Barriers:

I have had great luck with most species using Vaseline. The ony downside is that some roach species seem to nibble on it and over some time eat it all away before it would normally need to be re-applied (which I do about once a year).

Has anyone tried anything new other than teflon paint, olive oil, or petrolium jelly ???

After moving my hissers to a new container one night I had a new batch of babies (are they a hatch, litter, or what for roaches?). The lid I had made started to warp and there was a bunch of new nymphs stacked up trying to get out. This was about 2AM I noticed them once I got home so in a scramble I knocked them all into the cage and used some common cooking vegetable oil around the top since I didn't have anything else. It works well enough for hissers but I wouldn't recommend it for something a little better at climbing. Just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...
After moving my hissers to a new container one night I had a new batch of babies (are they a hatch, litter, or what for roaches?).

I'd guess a litter for live bearing species and a clutch or hatch for egg layers. I'm not aware of any literature that's the last word on cockroach baby terminology.

I think petroleum jelly ends up working the best.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've used vaseline for Eublaberus prostic, and Blaptica dubia, and it works for the adults, but the babies crawl right over. They also eat the vaseline over time so then it presents no barrier whatsoever. Could anybody recommend anything else? Has anyone used BugBarrier, or any other such products?

• 4 weeks later...
I've used vaseline for Eublaberus prostic, and Blaptica dubia, and it works for the adults, but the babies crawl right over. They also eat the vaseline over time so then it presents no barrier whatsoever. Could anybody recommend anything else? Has anyone used BugBarrier, or any other such products?

As you saw, I advocate the use of Vaseline, but I have read accounts where keepers swear by packing tape. The stuff used to seal cartons and boxes... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Ive used a few old coolers for enclosure for my crickets, hissing and lobster roachs and Ive noticed they dont climb the walls at all in them. The only thing that I have seen climbing the inside of a cooler is microcrickets, like smaller than 1/8" but generaly they cant get to far up it, like Ive never seen any at the top just around the bottom couple of inches. I take off the lid and make a frame with wire mesh thats just a little bigger then the cooler so it just sits on top with the mesh covering the top and the wieght of the frame holding it on, In my limited experience this has worked really well. I know its kinda a bit of work but Ive tried using olive oil and that kinda deal and I got sick of getting it on my forearms pretty fast.

• 2 months later...

Those two species shouldn't need a barrier at all - unless you have them in a container that has textured inner walls. They don't climb glass or plastic, as a general rule. I usually keep a lid on both of their containers, but that is to hold moisture in - I use no barriers and, at times, no lids.

Those two species shouldn't need a barrier at all - unless you have them in a container that has textured inner walls. They don't climb glass or plastic, as a general rule. I usually keep a lid on both of their containers, but that is to hold moisture in - I use no barriers and, at times, no lids.

Sometimes I have Eublaberus nymphs crawl up the silicon for the glass attachment. I just smear some petroleum jelly in the corner and haven't had any escape so far. Sometimes it's good to have a barrier just in case, that's all the hobby needs...people setting loose exotic 'roaches.