Can you sex my Rhino?

I finally got around to figuring out how to work my Digital Cam so... Can you help me sex this bugger? I can sex almost every other type of roach but the Rhinos get me all confused! Here are 2 pics of the under sides and one from the top.

post-73-1210055285_thumb.jpg

post-73-1210055294_thumb.jpg

post-73-1210055301_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help!!!!

Nobody can really see what needs to be seen in those photos to sex it for you. The segmentation at the tip of the end of the abdomen is the key character though the shape of the pronotum on an adult is different for the genders. Try posting a close up of the ventral end of the abdomen and a side view of the pronotum.

Nobody can really see what needs to be seen in those photos to sex it for you. The segmentation at the tip of the end of the abdomen is the key character though the shape of the pronotum on an adult is different for the genders. Try posting a close up of the ventral end of the abdomen and a side view of the pronotum.

I thought you told me you had a 5 y/o male ? ;)

For a 4 y/o roach, I would guess it to be a female by comparing the photo to the rhinos I have. However, its overall shape tells me it is not mature yet and could still be a male. We would need to see a couple angles of the tail end to better indentify if it is a male or female.

I would guess female too, but it is to small to tell for sure. Those pics of the ventral and pronotum areas will really help.

good luck.

francisco

PS let me know if you would like tot rade your roach for something else in case it is your only one.

• 2 weeks later...

Orin,

Yeah, after I looked at the pics on my computer I thought they may not be the best. I was hoping somebody could figure it out with them, but its just not the right view. I will snap some more and post them next time I pull out the bugger!

Matt,

First off...I told you that I thought I had a male, and I still think I have a male. I never said that it was a male 100%. I was sure to make this clear and if you have the emails from when we first started talking about making a deal, you will see that fact stated clearly. Secondly, I never told you the rhino was 5 years old. I bought it in 2006 (as a 2 year old) and that would make it 4 years (and a few months) old now. You can check any of my posts on this forum, on petbugs and on arachnoboards. The age is clearly stated in all of them. Again, please refer back to your emails that I wrote to you. If, by mistake, I told you it was 5 years old than I must have been typing while I was real sleepy (I do that sometimes) but I dont think I made that mistake.

Its not cool that you brought this up on the boards, even if you added a little wink face. I am honest and accurate. I dont need my name tarnished. A comment like that belongs in a private message. You know what is funny, this is not the first time you thought I made a mistake. Last time you thought I screwed up, upon refering to our emails, you realized that the mistake was actually yours.

Anyway, I would agree that the roach is not mature yet.

On a happier note...

Francisco,

Yep, I will get some better pictures soon. I do plan on posting my rhino maybe in a month, but I am not really looking for trades. At least not in animals. If you have supplies, foods or maybe some other goods, I would consider that. Send me an email or a message and we can talk.

Thanks for the feed back guys! I will post some new pictures soon!

Acro- take a moment to relax.

None of this has or will in any way "tarnish" whatever reputation you think you have. What I thought, what you thought, and what anyone thinks is just that. Who cares?! There is nothing negative about you here at all. Give me a break- I was pulling your chain while responding to the post you put up for anyone to respond to in any way and anyone can see that. Don't be so sensitive. Publicly.

To all: Please do not take Acro's over zealous post as admission of guilt for any wrong doings. As far as I can tell every single person who has ever dealt with him has been pleased with the results and there are no complaints on any board/forum that I know of. I am sure he meant to keep these comments via PM but decided to post them anyway.

On topic: After further examination of the photos in comparison to my females and male, I still if not more so believe this roach to be a female.

• 4 months later...

Hey everybody,

Sorry it took so long to get back to this post! Life got busy but I’m sure you know how that goes.

Anyway my last post was a bit rough so let me apologize to all of you who read the post (and to all who will read that post) for the harsh tone I used. I always try to be positive but I guess I had a bad day. Again, I apologize. This is a positive environment and I wish to keep it that way.

Matt,

I worded the reply badly, but I still stand by the content. I felt you were calling me a liar (yet playing it off with a wink face) and I defended myself by showing how you had mistaken things I’ve said in the past.

You had said: “I am sure he meant to keep these comments via PM but decided to post them anyway.” actually, I meant for them to be public. Basically, you started to pull something out into the open, and I dragged it out the rest of the way to finished it.

I’m glad you replied and kinda tried to fix things, even though your post seemed rather sarcastic, but maybe I am just reading too much into it. Either way, I hope that we can be cool and drop this. The bugs are fun for me and if I have people unhappy with me, then it is no longer any fun.

As for the roach, everyone seems to think its a she! Well I finally have some more pictures to help figure it out. I had some others but they did not come out well so I hope these are good enough. Please let me know your thoughts and thanks for the help!

post-73-1224146172_thumb.jpg

hi acro

my shoot is a female it lacks the bumb on the head the male have

i can not download pictures ether

but here is a link to some pics of a sure male

http://www.insect-sale.com/fr/photo.asp?ph...thia-rhinoceros

looks just like my fred & barny

regards henrik

Acro- I had long since forgotten about any of this! I do not take any of it personally...its just a forum post. It had not even crossed my mind or had been given a second thought, so "we are o.k.".

Orin- are you sure? I have seen both males and females of a young age have that short segment on the end, but on males the short segment is narrow and on females the short segment is a little wider. I look to the size and spacing of the cerci as tell tale as well as the posterior segment. While I cannot guarantee, in my opinion this is probable a very young male, but this could be a young female. Would you agree or do you think I am definately incorrect? Like some species, I think they appear male until some age and then molt out as female just before maturation.

From my limited experience, the presence of developed pronotal ridges and a small ending segment on the abdomen indicate a male.

This is generally true for many species. However there are also many other species that appear male as nymphs to subadult stage. The question in this thread is if it is true for Macropanesthia.

:blink:

Acro- you have numerous photos in this thread.... are they the same roach in different lighting situations or are they different roaches?

Thanks for the replies!

I got the Rhino from James, bought it as a 2 year old and received it on 1/9/06. If my calculations are correct (and I have never liked math, so you never know) the roach should be 4 years and 10 months old. It is the same one in all the pictures so I guess the light is what was different, although I didn't do anything special with the light. I am thinking it is male because when I first got it, I had a few others to compare it with. I just have never been good at sexing the Rhinos and I wanted to see what others thought. I can sex all my other species of roaches, but the Rhinos have always confused me.

So, with that info, I hope we can come to a conclusion.

Thanks again for all the help!

While I cannot guarantee, in my opinion this is probable a very young male, but this could be a young female. Would you agree or do you think I am definately incorrect? Like some species, I think they appear male until some age and then molt out as female just before maturation.

On the first photos you couldn't see the segmentation either way. Unless the photo is making it look like there's a small segment that's not really there it's certainly a boy. That's not an early instar nymph.

On the first photos you couldn't see the segmentation either way. Unless the photo is making it look like there's a small segment that's not really there it's certainly a boy. That's not an early instar nymph.

There we have it then! Its a boy.

I have to say though that the photos look very immature for a 5 year old roach...

Very cool...I had always thought it was a male (there is totally a little segment down there) but now it is confermed. Thanks!

As for its age, it is no where near an early instar nymph, but Im rather sure it has not had its final molt yet (soon to come!). Ive had it for 2 years and 10 months, it was sold to me by James of www.blaberus.com as a 2 year old, so maybe he sold me a younger roach...but I doubt that. I will be posting this bugger in the "Ad Listings" soon, so keep an eye out!