Albino Narceus americanus

This is a captive bred albino.

I guess this bugger hasn't got the ability anymore to stain your hand brown?

Albinos are very rare among arthropods, so this is pretty cool!! I have never heard of an albino insect anyways.

I have never seen of a picture of a true albino insect (and I suppose I still haven't). I guess the closest thing to an albino I've seen is some monarchs from Hawaii where they get that white morph. The defensive chemicals aren't colored brown because the color comes from the insect directly (I could be wrong, prussic acid is usually clear anyway so it must be an accessory chemical) so it would still make your fingers brown…right?

I guess this bugger hasn't got the ability anymore to stain your hand brown?

Albinos are very rare among arthropods, so this is pretty cool!! I have never heard of an albino insect anyways.

Spirobolid millipedes can produce quinones from the ozopores in defense, it's a chemical defense and has nothing to do with the color of the millipede.

There is documentation on an albino form of a grasshopper. The white monarchs are missing orange, not black so it's sort of the opposite of albinism.

Cool, another reason to like Narceus. How many do you have? If anyone was interested, there are some albino snail photos here: www.bugnation.co.uk (snail pictures forum).

Bugmanprice - I wish I could post pictures of my albino? sowbug, but my camera can't get clear photos on anything smaller than a cricket.