Chris Driggers a.k.a. ScorpDemon

I grew up in Central Alabama and have lived here most of my 27 years. I, as well as most other kids here, was taught from a young age that anything that's not a dog or a cat is bad. Well something didn't seem right about that, and I was always catching something and bringing it home, whether it be snakes, lizards, beetles, roaches, crawfish, spiders, scorpions. It wasn't until about 4 years ago that I found out that there were other peple who liked roaches and that I wasn't weird after all(well by the standards that I was thinking anyway). I got my first starter colony from Wade Harrel as a freebie when I ordered a 2 T-shirts and some tarantula spiderlings. Those 2 dozen E. prosticus grew into an addiction when I saw how quickly they produced once I had a couple hundred adults. I got them originally to use the offspring as feeders for my scorpions, tarantulas and lizards. I did feed some off, but I had to have more. At one time I was keeping 12 species of roaches. I am now down to 2 species, both are feeder colonies. I am looking to add some collector roaches to the collection now.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for joining up! I hope the updated Allpet Roaches forum can help you find some neat species and keep you interested. I'm guessing you still have the Eublaberus, what's the other species you have? Lobsters? Do you remember all twelve you had in the past?

It's often interesting to hear what species people are keeping and have kept.

Welcome!

Orin

No, I don't have the Eublaberus anymore, I tend to stay away from the climbers a little more now, had some problems with lobsters ecscaping a couple years ago, and now I stick primarily to the non-climbers. I have kept, orangeheads, six spots, normal giant and black morph hissers, lobsters, deathheads, discoids, B. fusca, lateralis, dubia, and B. gigantea. I guess that's more like 10 species, 3 morphs of one of them. Still have lateralis and dubia. Looking for some dominoes and glowspots now, and who knows what else.

Chris

Well I'm not strict on the "no climbers" rule for pet species. Now all my roaches are feeders for my tarantulas, scorpions, frogs and bearded dragon. I got rid of the Orange Heads because of the rumors that they have been known to munch on a molting invertebrate, and they b urrow so fast some of the spiders don't catch them before they burrow, and I have a lot of arboreals, and they didnt go over really well as feeders for arboreals. I really like the dubia as a feeder, and the speed breeding of the lateralis plus the size of the newly hatched nymphs so I can have appropriately sized feeders for all of my animals.

Chris

Welcome Chris...It's Graham in Texas...nice to see you around here!

Hey Graham, likewise. It's been unusually hot here, too hot for herping(for me anyway), but I need to go and pick up a few things. Including some of those wood roaches if I can grab enough of them for a decent starter colony.

Chris