Roach ID

I really need help IDing them. Found 8 of these guys last weekend.

Length: +-1.5 inches

Primary colour: Red

Secondary colour: Yellow

Location: Rotten roots of a chopped down tree, Malaysia - had to dig 6 inches of soil and wood mulch to get to them.

Speed: Moderately fast

Musk: Non-musking

Climb: Climbs plastic container wall

Fly: Non flying

Feed: Currently feeding on fresh cut fruits

unknownroaches.jpg

All comments/hints/ideas welcomed.

These are all I have. From the nesting site, there seem to be none looking very much different from the ones in the pic.

I will try and keep these till adulthood, and post some pictures a couple of months from now. Meanwhile, I still anticipate more feedback.

Thanks a bunch, Orin and Javier!

• 4 weeks later...
I'd say from the adult photo it looks like Periplaneta australasiae.

I just now saw this thread. Both the original photos and the recent photo are definately Periplaneta australasiae.. I have a colony of them and immediately recognized the nymphs (the adult photo is a clincher too).

By the way, they will eat anything and are nearly indestructable. :o

I guess that's pretty much done it! I got my ID thanks to you guys. :)

Despite having a bad reputation in another site(link) . I like these little buggers and have decided to keep them.

And yea, I agree on the eating anything and indestructable part! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

These guys are a gift from a close friend of mine.

Length: +- 3 inches (largest male)

Primary colour: Black

Secondary colour: Orange

Climb: Non climbing

Fly: Non flying

Burrow: Avid burrower, hates bright lights

IMG_3121.jpg

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

*Pics credits to Juraij.

Have to honestly say, this roach species scares me. The serrated hind legs are strong enough to do some serious damage. Any idea what they are?

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Here are a couple more pictures of roaches we found from a recent excursion in Kemensah Heights, Malaysia. Your expert opinions are will be valued more than ever. ;)

Specimen 1

Length: Approx. 3 inches (only 1 winged specimen found)

Primary colour: Orange/brown

Secondary colour: Black

Location: Rotten bark of a dead tree in Kemensah Heights, Malaysia

Speed: Superfast

Climb: Climbs plastic walls

Fly: Not observed

Burrow: Not observed

3497824326_9da0a405d6.jpg

Closer view:

3497829376_920041a363.jpg

Specimen 2

Length: Approx. 1.5inches (only 1 wingless specimen found)

Primary colour: Brown

Secondary colour: -

Location: Humid leaf litter, ground dweller - Kemensah Heights, Malaysia

Climb: Climbs plastic walls

Fly: Not observed

3497026115_61195cdce0.jpg

Shoot away people!

Thanks Zephyr. The first specimen does look like a Rhabdoblatta sp. A close partner of mine (whom also is an avid roach keeper) suggests that its a Rhypharobia sp. (ex. Malaysia). I can't seem to source for worthy information on both species on the net so far.

More hints will be awesome. ;)

Thanks Zephyr. The first specimen does look like a Rhabdoblatta sp. A close partner of mine (whom also is an avid roach keeper) suggests that its a Rhypharobia sp. (ex. Malaysia). I can't seem to source for worthy information on both species on the net so far.

More hints will be awesome. ;)

I can kinda see Rhyparobia... But I'm definitely siding more towards Rhabdoblatta.

Could be something totally different though. :P

• 2 months later...

I have a question regarding the identification of a new colony of roaches that I've received from a dear friend last month. They are local. Found in the highlands of Malaysia (Cameron Highlands).

Here are some details:

Length: Approx. 2 - 3 inches

Primary colour: Brown

Secondary colour: Darker spots (brown)

Speed: Fast

Climber: Climbs plastic walls

Fly: Yes

Sexual dimorphism: Not apparent (I may only have males?)

Here are some pictures to share:

3724807281_969e7b4903.jpg

3724807305_125249250c.jpg

3724807313_0bf5210f32.jpg

I intend to trade part of my collection for some hissers and would like to ask your opinions first before I do anything that lacks of intellectual acuity. I'd really appreciate you sharing any ideas. Don't worry about being blunt with me.;)

Are hissers uncommon in collections in your area? Those are some very nice looking 'roaches you have there, I'm definitely envious.

I intend to trade part of my collection for some hissers and would like to ask your opinions first before I do anything that lacks of intellectual acuity. I'd really appreciate you sharing any ideas. Don't worry about being blunt with me.;)

Are hissers uncommon in collections in your area? Those are some very nice looking 'roaches you have there, I'm definitely envious.

WOW!! I love that last roach with all the spots. We need to get some of those going on in the US

Thank you so much guys. Roach keeping is still relatively a new hobby from where I come from. It's begun to have a healthy following in here in the past year or so. I am interested in expanding my hisser colony as well as adding some new interesting species to my frail collection of roaches.

I also have had some success breeding these beauties and will update here when time permits. My current priority is to get them properly IDed! :lol:

Thank you so much guys. Roach keeping is still relatively a new hobby from where I come from. It's begun to have a healthy following in here in the past year or so. I am interested in expanding my hisser colony as well as adding some new interesting species to my frail collection of roaches.

I also have had some success breeding these beauties and will update here when time permits. My current priority is to get them properly IDed! :lol:

Working on the i.d. , but also: Can you trade roaches with persons in the Phillipines? If so, I may be able to have them supply to you hissers and other species. While I am in the USA, an acquaintance of mine is in that country and has a good supply of them....

Nice job breeding these! I too love the last ones, they have a Blaberusish look to them. Have you tried sexing them the usual last-ventral-segment-of-abdomen way?

• 5 weeks later...