Cockroach Flashcard Idea

Severus

I have an idea that I wanted to run by "the masters".

I have a desire to better learn the names(both scientific and common) and how to identify the different species of roaches in the hobby(some are easy, I know, but I get confused when it comes to the similar ones). I think a type of flashcard would be a great way to learn for me, and I'm sure others as well. I could see this type of thing being available in a biology classroom, and, if done well, surely it would be of interest to those in the hobby as well.

I think on the front of the cards there should be a clear picture of the roach, maybe with the common name and/or the scientific name on it. On the back, there definitely needs to be both names, a description of the roach, and comparable species that may be confused with it, and how to tell them apart(if possible by sight).

There should also be cards with tips on how to go about identifying an unknown roach, and other tid bits of information that would benefit the hobby.

I believe that this could be an interesting project that could be "renewed" every year or every so many years, to add potential new species in the hobby, as well as to possibly change the photos of the existing ones.

What do you guys think of this idea?

Maybe I shouldn't have answered, isn't the title Master reserved for boys 17 and under? 18 and over would be Mister? ;)

Well, you and matt and all the others who are so active and "know it all" are the Cockroach Masters. I am just an owner. I don't consider my self a 'hobbyist' just yet. Soon, maybe. And just maybe, I could become a master later on. lol :D

Thanks! I'll see what I can find as far as production.

This might go against the spirit of the original post, but wouldn't the Allpet Roaches book be a decent resource of information on this subject?

I don't like being a dream-crasher, but I can't imagine too many people would buy that particular product (though I personally think it would be very interesting). I wish universities offered a class on "bugs in the pet hobby and their care". That would be interesting and your product idea might go over well there! Otherwise, your target demographic would likely be confined to the members on this forum.

Peter, you should offer that class! On the topic of the post, those flashcards would be a great idea, but I don't think too many people would buy them. Also, it would probably be pest species that they focused on, unless the manufacturer knew it was a bad stereotype.

Not a dream crusher, Peter. Looking for places that have such a product is that. <_<:rolleyes: . I have not bought that book YET, but it is next on my list before my school books.

Lets see: they places I could see the product for sale. Zoo Gift shops, biology classrooms, the homes of hobbyists....um....*some* pet shops.... I guess getting more people interested, or at least less creeped out, by the dreaded cockroach should come first.

Oh I'm hoping my biology professor this fall is interested in bugs. I am hoping that he will let me keep my hissers in his room over the winter since my bedroom at home is not going to be allowed heat since I am going to live on campus. I tried to go in his classroom a few days ago because I saw tanks with what appeared to be "creepy crawlies" but I got sidetracked. There is not an Entemology class at the school I am going to.

Maybe a poster with "all" the types on it with just the names? Wait. Is there a poster? I think I have seen something like that. It might have been butterflies.

Thank you Facebook.

What about this place guys? I was hoping for a little bit bigger than business card size but you never know what they will have unless you email them. Heck they might be able to work something special out that is not listed. http://www.moo.com/ They even have sticker books. lol Now that would be fun.

I've found roaches work well for living specimens for many areas of study: ecology (I've even used them as models for single species population dynamics), animal behavior (especially hissers work well), invertabrate studies, even gen. bio. students like to hangout and look at them runnin' around.

Oh I'm hoping my biology professor this fall is interested in bugs. I am hoping that he will let me keep my hissers in his room over the winter since my bedroom at home is not going to be allowed heat since I am going to live on campus. I tried to go in his classroom a few days ago because I saw tanks with what appeared to be "creepy crawlies" but I got sidetracked. There is not an Entemology class at the school I am going to.