Aborted and a mystery sack

Mambo

I'm fairly new here, but not to roaches. This is Sophie (not sure how many people name them here) and this is my second time trying to breed hissers ever. She expelled two eggsacks and I thought she had a third she was pushing out. It looks very different though. It was white but has yellowed. I'm worried about her a bit. I took photos, sorry they're not great. my camera is horrible for close ups. Anyone know what this is?

post-356-1215835943_thumb.jpg

That may be a normal process. The eggs (ootheca) are formed in the ovary chamber. Then they have to be mostly extruded in order to retract them back in to the brood sac where they sit until they hatch out. In many roaches, they naturally rotate during this process as well. This has to happen with every ootheca, so do not mistake it for a loss.

Now if the ootheca is completely expelled, or dropped in the transition from ovary to brood sac, there is usually a cause for that such as insufficient humidity, too sopping wet, not enough food, or other stress-inducing factors. Simply adressing the husbandry of the animal can rectify that easily. Hissers can be very prolific so no worries.

She dropped what I suspect is the ootheca (looks like the inside of a yellow grapefruit) and the only other experience I've had with breeding she'd had her babies when she dropped that. How long will this yellow/white sack be out? Should it be drying a bit? I tried misting near her to make her comfortable. She's eating and moving fine otherwise. They stay 75 temp(low I know, but the heater just seems to not put much out and a bigger one wouldn't fit) and humidity is 80 and sometimes 85. They have enough food to fill a fruit and salad bar.

Don't worry, I name 'em too. :lol: If she dropped it and it still hasn't hatched, it wont. I keep mine about 75 too, and I've had a female have two "litters" of babies and then abort the third. I don't exactly know why, but she should be perfectly fine. They are very prolific, and you should have more babies sometime.

yeah, she did drop them and nothing came out. it's been eaten by now. I'm just still worried about this sack still hanging out of her. It was plump yesterday and now looks dry and deflated. :/

Don't worry, I name 'em too. :lol: If she dropped it and it still hasn't hatched, it wont. I keep mine about 75 too, and I've had a female have two "litters" of babies and then abort the third. I don't exactly know why, but she should be perfectly fine. They are very prolific, and you should have more babies sometime.

Sorry, I don't know for sure what the sack is. I really hope it isn't her ovaries or something. Sorry if that sounds upsetting, but she can probably live normally. Unless it goes back in or just comes out, she may not be able to breed anymore. How are the babies doing?

it stays out. looks like half of it fell off. I'm scared to try and tug or push. Otherwise, the 5 roaches seem okay, just Sophie has the half sack. Another of the females (ludmela) is acting a little funny, hope she can (or is about to) produce babies. She's pacing and arched all day. I was looking forward to nymphs.

Sorry, I don't know for sure what the sack is. I really hope it isn't her ovaries or something. Sorry if that sounds upsetting, but she can probably live normally. Unless it goes back in or just comes out, she may not be able to breed anymore. How are the babies doing?

it stays out. looks like half of it fell off. I'm scared to try and tug or push. Otherwise, the 5 roaches seem okay, just Sophie has the half sack. Another of the females (ludmela) is acting a little funny, hope she can (or is about to) produce babies. She's pacing and arched all day. I was looking forward to nymphs.

If they are about to produce babies they often become less mobile and fat like a sausage. If she is arching and moving around it may be she is looking to mate with a male.