Feeding whole Fruits

drasar

When I put whole fruits like an apple or plum or tomato in my Dubia tank It seems they ignore it for a long time, sometimes a day or 2. I was wondering if they maybe couldn't smell it or maybe they couldn't chew through the tough skin :blink: ..is either of these things true? I was thinking of puncturing them but was told this makes them rot quicker...anybody got any advice on this?

Thanks...I've had them for like 2 weeks so still figuring out what works and what doesn't..can't wait to see my first Nymphs..bought 100 to start a colony with and haven't fed any to my T's yet.

Thanks...I've had them for like 2 weeks so still figuring out what works and what doesn't..can't wait to see my first Nymphs..bought 100 to start a colony with and haven't fed any to my T's yet.

Very cool. Good luck with your soon to arrive babies!

I have lobster roaches and feed them dry dog food---oats----bread----

They seem to really enjoy small slices of banana----cut in half and and then take half of that and slice down the middle---when I do that the roaches climb all over the exposed fruit and chow down.

They also really dig blackberries.

They don't seem to eat nearly as much as I had thought they would..But I give them Roach chow I bought and fresh fruits and veggies and old pieces of wheat bread...they seem to go for the bread more than the other stuff.

I pulled the whole apple outta the tank and quartered it when I put in fresh letuce and carrots, We will see if they show more interest in it now...I know they are in there cause I hear them scrambling when I lift the lid but I never see more than a couple and wanted to wait a while before digging through the eggcartons to look cause I heard if you stress them they might abort and I really want to see the colony grow...sure didn't look like 100+ when I put them in the 10gal tank...once they do start growing as a colony will I see them more often cause there is less room for them to hide? :blink:

Yes! since I quartered the apple I've seen several large Females feeding on it :D I still wonder if they didn't smell it or if the skin was too tough for them to chew through :huh:

• 1 month later...

Yeah, now that I quartered it they do the same thing as yours..but then again I put milkbone dog biskets in there and they gnaw on them.. :blink: