Substrate depth

Ralph

I finally got some sandy/dirty substrate (with some dead leaves and stuff) in my craniifer cage and they love it. At its deepest point, it is over 1 inch. They tend to bury themselves just under the surface. Is this normal, or should I add more substrate?

I finally got some sandy/dirty substrate (with some dead leaves and stuff) in my craniifer cage and they love it. At its deepest point, it is over 1 inch. They tend to bury themselves just under the surface. Is this normal, or should I add more substrate?

I have my craniifer on around 1-inch, 1 1/2 inches. They seem to like it just fine.

Oh, thanks Zephyr. I'll keep them how they are.

I have no substrate in my Dubia tank, just the eggcartens..do you think I need to add it? I've heard both good and bad..makes it harder to clean ect. But if it keeps them happy and healthy it's worth the added hassel.

I have no substrate in my Dubia tank, just the eggcartens..do you think I need to add it? I've heard both good and bad..makes it harder to clean ect. But if it keeps them happy and healthy it's worth the added hassel.
My dubias have no substrate and they do fine.

I bought 100 in mixed sizes about a month ago and most of them are getting really big but still haven't seen any nymphs yet..common guys do it!!! :lol:

I bought 100 in mixed sizes about a month ago and most of them are getting really big but still haven't seen any nymphs yet..common guys do it!!! :lol:

Are you sure you are doing it right? I also bought about 100 dubias 3 or 4 weeks ago and they are reproducing like mad, if i lift some eggcartons there are so many nymphs that i cannot even count them:D

Are you sure you are doing it right?

Doing what right? :lol: I have the egg cartons in there and give them food and water, fruit and veggies too and mist them everyday..all the older ones are getting really big but no new nymphs yet.

I keep it at 85 in my house all the time and mist them every morning, plus there is a small waterdish in their tank...gonna keep it at 65 in the winter. Also like I said in another post I painted the sides and back black to cut down on the light they get.

• 2 months later...
Perhaps you should set the mood by playing some romantic music. Bowchicabowow! LOL

FINALLY :D:) .....saw my first Nymphs today..thought I did yesterday but wasn't sure, the dirt Substrate works well but It makes it hard to see the Nymphs... :lol:

I only do substrate for "pet" species. (A bit of vermiculite, sphagnum peat moss, potting soil, rotting leaves, fresh dead leaves)

For my giganteus and tesselata I just have plain dead oak leaves. These seem to REALLY get them to crank out the production. (Note, on GREEN dead oak leaves my giganteus WOULD NOT PRODUCE)

Dirt ??

I use about 2 inches of coconut products with some leaves mixed in, and the substrate is full of nymphs.

I put a couple inches of Potting soil in the bottom of my dubia's container mostly cause I didn't like the look of all the roach poop..they seem to like it better than just the bare plastic tub bottom too.