Holy Smokes a new forum department!

Matt K

Guest manderzratz

i was going to order dubia roaches tomorrow or saturday and have the tub set up. but what is best to feed them besides the "roach chow" they're coming with? i.e. dog food or cat food? and which veggies/fruits? and anything else. thanks so much for any feedback.

i was going to order dubia roaches tomorrow or saturday and have the tub set up. but what is best to feed them besides the "roach chow" they're coming with? i.e. dog food or cat food? and which veggies/fruits? and anything else. thanks so much for any feedback.

I use any fruit/vegetable product and bulk fish food. There are a pretty good variety of dinner leftovers they will clear out also.

Guest manderzratz
I use any fruit/vegetable product and bulk fish food. There are a pretty good variety of dinner leftovers they will clear out also.

okay thanks. i just didn't know if they would have adverse reactions to anything.

Since roaches are scavengers (generally) they will eat just about anything. Sometimes oily foods may not be a good idea, and stay away from meat (its not bad for the roaches so much but can make them bloated and/or culture salmonella in your colony).

Just make sure that if you give them dry food like fish food or lab pellets that they also have an easy source for moisture. If you feed fruits and veggies then they practically dont need additional water at all. Balance it out.

Guest Guest_manderzratz_*

okay. so could i use veggies and fruits (random ones since i have my other pets that eat them), fish flakes, oak leaves, uhm...could i use ferret food instead of cat food? it's high quality ferret food. uhm and also is there anything else i should add? i also have high quality lab blocks from my pet mice and rats. and their cereal/grain mix...and though it wouldn't be "necessary", a water source. they should be shipping tomorrow. i have everything listed and the setup. is the diet lacking anything?

Guest Guest_manderzratz_*
That diet looks good to me. All my roaches just get carrots or fish flakes coupled with a misting every other day or so.

aah. thanks for the input. okay. i have read quite a bit and just wanted to get owner opinions. thank you very much.

Hmm...

I recently split my lobsters, which used to be outdoors, and brought them indoors. Outside they primarily ate oak leaves.

Indoors, I gave them dog food... I seem to be having a bit of a die-off, mostly adults and soon to be adult nymphs.

Was the diet change a little too drastic?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I have B.dubia as feeders, and G.portentosa and B.giganteus as pets.

I've also used B.lateralis as feeders, but had too many escapees, and they smelled worse.

The B.dubia love oranges, and applesauce.

Also, I've heard you shouldn't give roaches anything that makes people gassy, since it does the same to roaches, and then when you open up the roach tank it smells like a tank full of roach farts! :blink:

I have B.dubia as feeders, and G.portentosa and B.giganteus as pets.

I've also used B.lateralis as feeders, but had too many escapees, and they smelled worse.

The B.dubia love oranges, and applesauce.

Also, I've heard you shouldn't give roaches anything that makes people gassy, since it does the same to roaches, and then when you open up the roach tank it smells like a tank full of roach farts! :blink:

lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 2 years later...