Ectobius lapponicus

As far as I know the only Ectobius species we have in the USA is E. pallidus and it's found in the extreme northeast. I've seen specimens and they are interesting to a serious roach enthusiast but they are very small and not striking.

;) I think they are rather attractive, though I have not seen one in person- only photos.

Are both species known as the "tawny cockroach"? I hate common names... Maybe that's where the confusion was.

As far as I know the only Ectobius species we have in the USA is E. pallidus and it's found in the extreme northeast. I've seen specimens and they are interesting to a serious roach enthusiast but they are very small and not striking.

Hi,

there are a few papers on the culture of three Ectobius species found in th UK, see below. In the Uk the Ectobius are known as the tawny E. pallidus; the dusky E. lapponicus and the lesser E. panzeri. The problem with common names is that each country has their own, which in the days of international communication through the web makes these 'local' names misleading and confusing. If you ask me about E. pallidus I can tell you much, ask me about the 'spotted Mediterranean cockroach', I can tell you very little.

Brown, V.K. 1973. Collection and culture of field-dwelling cockroaches for experimental purposes. Entomologist 106: 114-117.

Brown, V.K. 1973. The over-wintering stages of Ectobius lapponicus (L.) (Dictyoptera: Blattidae). Journal of Entomology Ser. A. 48(1): 11-24.

Brown, V.K. & Rider, L. 1974. Improved technique for rearing over-wintering cockroach nymphs. Entomologist’s Gazette 25: 44.

cheers

D