Tis the season to carve pumpkins!

rednkhunter

Okay so I know that I am not the only person wondering about if roaches can eat pumpkin and or pumpkin seeds. I am going to carve mine tonight, and want to know if it is okay if I feed my dubia pumpkin. Also, I really love to eat pumpkin seeds! I usually salt them and bake them for a yummy snack. I know that my roaches shouldn't eat the salt so I going to bake there "special" batch first. Now should I take the seed out of the 'shell' when I feed one to my colony? And is it necessary to brake them up or even make it unto a pulp? Thanks for any feed back!

Um... I carved a hissing cockroach pumpkin... am I a nerd?

Dude, we all raise roaches - there is a serious chance that we are all nerds :lol:

...and I raise roaches, am a computer geek and carve pumpkins with spiders & roaches... does that make me a super nerd?

As to the question - yes, they can safely eat pumpkin, but like Orin, I have never fed the pulp or seeds.

I should take time-lapse video of a nice jack-o-lantern set amidst a supercolony of lobster roaches.... or either of three Eublaberus sp. ....

:o

Oh - that would be awesome with the lobsters! :D

Possibly yes, but you're are among peers. About three years ago in high school, we had to do a project for art. I did a "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" Black knight battle with Lego people and staring a hisser in place of Patsy (and yes, I made him a hat). Man, I think this is a good thread idea "What is the weirdest thing you've done involving a cockroach?". So, if indeed you are, it's okay...it can always get worse.

Um... I carved a hissing cockroach pumpkin... am I a nerd?

Gave mine some pumpkin! They loved it!

Ad for the nerd thing, I've been in love with an anime character for seven years. I dunno if it can get much worse than that.

I'd like to add...

If you're going to feed pumpkin, make sure your enclosures have EXCESS ventilation. The humidity from roach frass and the pumpkin built up even in my vented enclosures, and now I'm stuck doing overhauls on two tanks due to rot and fruit fly infestations.

Oddly, the orangeheaded roaches don't have fruit flies with them and appear to be doing better with high humidity.