Help! Death by Bloating!

Acro

Hello everybody,

I need some help. One of my male hissers began to swell over a period of a few weeks...maybe a month. He was extremely bloated and eventually some of his organs began to pop out of his anus (or maybe those were his sex organs?). He was mobile and willing to feed. But being so huge with difficulty getting around, and having his organs hang out from his body for about a week, he finally died. He was the only male in that setup and none of the females swelled up like he did.

Now, next to the dead roaches enclosure, I have a different male with some females and he is starting to inflate! I would like to prevent this roach from dying and I need your thoughts and suggestions as how to help this bug out!

I am posting 2 pictures that will show how the dead male looked a few days before his departure. (he had that split segment all his life). Hopefully these pictures will help diagnose the problem.

I don't want to lose all my male hissers and I am afraid this may spread!

Thanks in advance for the help!

I have a Hisser who has some kind of protuberance coming from its rear end. Can you tell me what it might be and what I should do.She is able to move around and seems to go toward food. It was wet and cream colored. Now it is drying and more brownish.See photos attached. Thanks.

I have a Hisser who has some kind of protuberance coming from its rear end. Can you tell me what it might be and what I should do.She is able to move around and seems to go toward food. It was wet and cream colored. Now it is drying and more brownish.See photos attached. Thanks.

Cant see your images but it's certainly an ootheca, (eggcase) this is perfectly normal and she will pull it back inside herself shortly. Expect babies in a few weeks. :)

Cant see your images but it's certainly an ootheca, (eggcase) this is perfectly normal and she will pull it back inside herself shortly. Expect babies in a few weeks. :)

Thanks, but this is not an eggcase. Been keeping roaches for a long time and have never seen anything like this! :-/ Sorry about the pics, let try this again...

post-49-0-01679700-1301233817_thumb.jpg

post-49-0-59410900-1301233839_thumb.jpg

post-49-0-56126700-1301233853_thumb.jpg

<!--quoteo(post=7595:date=Jan 8 2009, 11:33 PM:name=Acro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acro @ Jan 8 2009, 11:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=7595"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, would they affect female roaches as well?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are actually nematodes that will infect one gender or another in a population. In parthenogenic organisms it's becomes very interesting because sometimes the asexual females will give birth to males once the female parasite load becomes too much. Once sexual reproduction takes place it clears out most of the population’s parasite load! Uhum... anyway...Parasites are neat when they are not in your pets. If his genitals are drying up because of environmental exposure he most likely will not be able to reproduce, I'm afraid. Hopefully what ever is making your guy bloat will fix it's self, he would be a great looking male (even if he can’t fertilize your females) if he wasn't the shape of a bratwurst. Best of luck to you.

do u know where the parth females havin males is published. Id like to read more on this

• 11 years later...