Evolution vs. Creation

Ralph

Evolution vs. Creation  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you believe in?

• Evolution
    • Creation/Intelligent Design
    • Mixture of both

... since many have eyes and cannot see, ears and cannot hear. ...those who don't want to see or hear cannot be convinced even if you lovingly pick apart their arguments.

This is a universal problem with people everywhere... :(

I've experienced this a few times. Some people will refuse to believe in the winning evidence for whatever reason. I think some will only be convinced by seeing change in other people, or be being deeply humbled somehow.

• 4 months later...

Alrighty, well I voted for a little of both. Here is where religion gets a little wonky. I have no problems with anyones beliefs and will not smash them as such. But personally here is what is basically my belief.

I believe in a Goddess, yes I know probably the only pagan on bored here...and a female too sheesh :P

There for, yes there is creation/intelligent design. But as I don't believe in the christian form of god this aspect is a little different. Honestly I believe that we were created to evolve. We are given the option of free will, as well as the way for us to adapt to the settings we need to adapt.

I have seen some interesting arguments about creation, I used to be a Baptist Child. One of our pastors said "Well if you tell children they have evolved from monkeys..grumble grumble...then how do you expect them to act any way other than like a monkey..grumble" he then proceeded to make us watch a movie on something about how this curtain type of beetle would explode if it tried to evolve.

But well as I have said before, the Goddess to me is in everything their for evolution may be just what she has in mind for her creation :D

"Well if you tell children they have evolved from monkeys..grumble grumble...then how do you expect them to act any way other than like a monkey..grumble"

Lol, that's actually pretty profound. What's the point of being civilized if you have no more value than the pond scum from whence you came?

• 1 month later...

You guys' posts were all very interesting to read. And it's awesome to see this topic get discussed without getting out of hand! Especially since there are varying beliefs here. As usual, though, despite loving this topic - I'm still completely undecided as to what I believe.

Pointless post here, but yeah. :D

• 5 years later...

Old thread, encouraging to me.

I suspect commenting here will bring it to the top of the thread list and open up the dialog again.

To those who struggle to understand how all the creationists can logically wrap their heads around microevolution/speciation (which we see occurring and which we can infer from fossils as well), as well as the answer to how a historical Noah might ever have been able to fit everything on an ark of any reasonable dimensions... Might I propose a search of the concept of Baraminology (orchard of life with high levels of genetic heterozygosity for each group, rather than a single tree), followed by speciation so rapid to make punctuated equilibrium seem to take forever.

This is quite old but why not

I lean more twards Evolution, even though I was raised by creationist, I think the whole "god made man in his own image" seems pretty egotistical. If you notice the word "man" is used through out the passage, Almost like if women is the third wheel. Don't get me wrong I do believe in a all mighty creator, I mean something has to be maintaining a natural balance in the universe, but it's not human, it might not even have a form.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

My vote is for the mushrooms after reading mycelium running it seems to me that amino acids came together forming fungi and algaes the built the soil on a rock spinning around a star. Ever since then all forms of live are derived to form symbiotic relationships with fungi in some way or anouther. I think the fungi are natures creative designers the speed and complexity of how they learn and evolve is unparreled.