Mites on cockroaches

Hello!

I am acarologist - that's mean, I am working with mites. :)

Main group of my interest is Mesostigmata mites.

BUT - I very like cockroaches, and have several species as pets.

I have found and identified some mite species related to cocroaches. Probably some of you also have found them on cockroaches ?

Some groups are parasites, but some are just "passengers" on roaches. :)

Thank You for Your message.

Do You still have mites on Your roaches ? What kind of problems they do to Your roaches ?

I am interested in collecting mites associated with roaches, diplopods, scorpions...........

If You could tell me more about those mites, and, if you have them, send some mites to me, then perhaps I could tell You more.

There are no much literature on that , You are right. Therefore this is more interesting for me. :)

Ineta

I believe they are a type of grain mite. The only damage they have done is to the food I give the roaches. They used to swarm over it and turn it to dust. I bought some predatory mites, H. miles, to control them and added a colony of isopods to clean up leftover food and mite eggs. I also started letting the enclosure dry out more with a small water dish for the roaches. Instead of misting the entire enclosure I just water the plants enough to keep them alive. It has worked very well.

I believe they are a type of grain mite. The only damage they have done is to the food I give the roaches. They used to swarm over it and turn it to dust. I bought some predatory mites, H. miles, to control them and added a colony of isopods to clean up leftover food and mite eggs. I also started letting the enclosure dry out more with a small water dish for the roaches. Instead of misting the entire enclosure I just water the plants enough to keep them alive. It has worked very well.

did that work for you. I'm having the same problem. Did the H. miles make a difference?

Well, yes, I think that dryness should help, because as I know from my expierence, mites like wet conditions. of course, extreme water amount is not ok as well, but they cann't survive in dry conditions.

As well as food , especialy not fresh food of cockroaches very like various mites. So, from my cockroach keeping expierence I know, that it is better more frequent cleaning of terariums.