oranges with dubia and laterlis increase mating?

skips

There was a thread posted on arachnoboards recently attributing massive increases in producation to using oranges or grapefruit in some cases. I personally didn't have any dubia reproducing for months until I added oranges and alot of people have had the experience. Has anybody run into something similar? Is that a documented thing or mass coincidence? Maybe we all on arachnoboards are feeding our roaches nutrient sufficient food, supplemented by oranges?

There was a thread posted on arachnoboards recently attributing massive increases in producation to using oranges or grapefruit in some cases. I personally didn't have any dubia reproducing for months until I added oranges and alot of people have had the experience. Has anybody run into something similar? Is that a documented thing or mass coincidence? Maybe we all on arachnoboards are feeding our roaches nutrient sufficient food, supplemented by oranges?

I read somewhere that fresh fruits encourage ova production in roaches.

I'm pretty desperate for nymphs in my hissers and death's heads' tanks. Do "clementines" seem to work the same magic?

I'm pretty desperate for nymphs in my hissers and death's heads' tanks. Do "clementines" seem to work the same magic?

I would assume so. Like i said, i'm still trying to find out if this has a real basis, but from the amount of people that say it works and absolutely no contradictions I'd say it does. Plus, how long have you had your hissers? My room mate just got nymphs a couple days ago and we've had them since early january. They take a long time. Also, for any invert to breed they need a good protein source. Dog food or catfood works, but if you're only feeding fruit and grain or something it may not be enough. On that though I'm mostly talking from conjecture.

I would assume so. Like i said, i'm still trying to find out if this has a real basis, but from the amount of people that say it works and absolutely no contradictions I'd say it does. Plus, how long have you had your hissers? My room mate just got nymphs a couple days ago and we've had them since early january. They take a long time. Also, for any invert to breed they need a good protein source. Dog food or catfood works, but if you're only feeding fruit and grain or something it may not be enough. On that though I'm mostly talking from conjecture.

Protein! That must be it!!! I've had these a long time, my females have been gravid for a long while.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Instead of discussing the merits of rumors, lets try to find reliable (peer reviewed or at least professionally published) scientific articles on the topic of Food and Feeding.

Why?

One negative outcome of feeding our roaches and unproven food might be poisoning due to external pesticides or intrinisic poisons. A little imagination will provide other possible negative outcomes.

Would people please make suggestions on how we could possibly find such articles on the internet?

Key words might be:

cockroach +nutrition

-Nino

There actually isn't much out there as far as peer reviewed literature on the subject. If you'd like to try looking at journal search databases like Jstore, Academic search Premier, or my favorite Bioone. Entomologists really couldn’t care if fresh fruit increases production in captive cockroach cultures, so I don’t imagine that anybody has published such a thing (you’d probably get laughed at if you tried to publish that sort of data).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
The peel is just fine. They'll eat out the pulp and leave the rest.

I put half an orange in my hisser colony today. After about an hour I came back to check on their progress and the only thing left was about an inch of rind. They were eating the peel and all.

• 6 months later...

I've heard this in more than one place, I cant say that I vouch for it though. I will, however, say that oranges are probably my roaches favorite food

Hi

Well, that mass coincidence hit me too :lol: !

Many of my roaches reproduce better when adding oranges or orange juice to their food.

But I suppose it would also work with other fruits (but oranges for that purpose are reasonably cheap); but it doesn't as well with bananas.

Grüessli

Andreas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I feed mine dog food, cheap apples and cheap oranges. However I have noticed the pair of Hissers I purchased recently could care less about the orange half in their enclosure. My dubia, lats, discoids, and lobsters love them but the Hissers really don't seem interested one bit. Honestly I haven't seen them eat all week so I'm slightly perplexed.

• 1 month later...

On geckoforums (I'm a member there), hundreds of people did tested this, and it was proven that they reproduce faster with citrus fruits, but it brings down the health when feeding to herbs.......... on bearded dragon.org too........ not sure if it's true but hope this helps

Although I would love to believe such trials, if somebody only has one colony, numerous factors could be affecting production.

For example; Many of the reports I've heard about dubias producing better after having citrus go something like this:

"So my dubias haven't been producing since I got them, so I gave them some oranges, and yesterday I found babies!"

Now, one could say the citrus made them give birth. Or one could also say any fruit could have encouraged a female to drop her babies, especially after months of carrying an ooth and not having any.

The best way to go about testing this would be to set up several bins, starting with a batch of subadult nymphs (maybe 100 or so) in another bin. Per day, as subadults mature, they would be removed and put into corresponding bins in equal amounts (3 females and 1 male per bin per day, for example) to ensure that all the roaches are at the same level of maturity. From there, each bin could be given unlimited access to food/water and supplemented with select fruits on a schedule (the fruits could be offered in excess to allow the roaches to eat their fill.)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

I know this is an older topic, but I have a follow up question, and request for help from it.  

I know I have found an article in the past about why oranges (and other citrus)  should only be fed to breeder roaches, due to the what the acid in the fruit turns to and that the roaches have no way to expel that from their bodies, however it is used for the formation of the oothicas.   So at breeding age it is helpful for the females.   The acid converted form is also not good to be fed to reptiles.   Perhaps gout related?  

ANYWAY!   My ability to properly google and refind this information is failing and I'd love if anyone is able to help me find this article again!  

I'll keep looking too, it was a good article and put it into good perspective.