Hiya couple of newbie Q's

Hiya folks i'm sorry if any of these questions have been asked loads before :unsure: . I'm new to keeping roaches and have had my group of E.chopardi for about a week now and i'm loving them, the are soooo cute lol. So first question is about them

How long will it take nymphs to grow to adult size please?

I have also just bought a male/female pair Gromphadorhina portentosa and was wondering if i can keep both of these and the E.chopardi together? Or if they would breed together? If that's the case i won't keep them together as i would want them hybridising (sp?).

And my last question is do i need to add calcium to their diet?

Thank you for any help given Cheers gwinni ;)

I don’t think Elliptorhina and Gromphadorhina will hybridize based on differences in the male genitalia. Also, ‘roaches don’t need a high source of calcium in their diet. If you give them dark greens once in a while that should give them plenty of calcium and other nutrients plus they really like 'em.

Cool thanks for the reply. What sorta dark greens? I read they quite like dandelions? I'm in the uk so i'm not sure what is classed as dark greens :blink:

Actually dandelions (not treated with anything for sure) work well in addition to collard greens, kale, bok choy, green/red lettuces, spinach, or my favorite turnip greens.

Actually dandelions (not treated with anything for sure) work well in addition to collard greens, kale, bok choy, green/red lettuces, spinach, or my favorite turnip greens.

Cool thanks my mum has a few of them growing in her garden turnips, kale and spinach so will have to get some to try. I have LOTS of dandelions in my garden but have a window box with some in that are out the way of the dogs so they don't pee on them. They used to be for my rabbit but i rehomed her ages ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know anything about the first species but if they're not even in the same genus I think there's about no chance they will interbreed. Though i've heard the housing question enough to know that the answer is always, "it could possibly work, but usually one species out competes the others." Some combinations have been done successfully. Which makes perfect sense. Dark greens are good, dog or cat food also, and oranges. For some reason they say it increases reproduction and i've never heard a word to the contrary. Calcium isn't a problem. External sources like powder would be harmful rather than helpful. Oh, and always wash your vegies thoroughly as pesticides are a good way to kill a roach.