Fresh molt of Eublaberus sp "White"

Finally, one of my nymphs of the rare Eublaberus sp "White" decided to molt into adulthood. Never seen an adult before so I kept waiting for it to harden, then I noticed the legs and knew that it was! Very neat species, hope you enjoy!

adultspwhite.jpg

That just looks like E. distanti to me, am I missing something?

Only if there are two species of E.distanti....

Orin, really? Hold on I will get pics of E.distanti and E. sp.'white' and post them side by side for comparison....

To ArkBlue, got em' from Matt K. :)

To Orin, I do not know if they technically are a different species but they sure look VERY different in color (different in pattern too). Oh and sorry my post is misleading, the roach is fully hardened and colored in (molted a day or so before the picture). They are nowhere near as brown as the distanti. The name sp "White" is thus very accurate as you can see! (I'll take a pic and upload in a sec too)

distantivssp.jpg

My distanti are quite a bit (20-30%) larger, broader in general, and the color patterns in the pronotum are consistantly different from the other (despite slight variations). The overall coloration is consistantly different. Remove the wings and there are slight differneces in the abdomens as well. I have bought E. distanti from a variety of resources and they are all consistant to the colony I have.

I am hoping to con the university into a DNA test, but they currently are asking for a rather large fee to do it. Same for getting an entomologist to examine them. Hoping this summer to acquire the aqppropriate microscope so I can examine in greater detail these things and provide photos of what I see.....

Matt, what about comparing the male genitalia? As long as you have a few spare males you should be able to do that yourself.

That was what I was hoping for, as I have other Eublaberus species.... though my eyesight may require a stereoscope for assistance.

Are the sp. White behaving like distanti or more like posticus??

Will they become a new species or are they a colour variant of distanti?? :unsure:

BR/

Ole

Are the sp. White behaving like distanti or more like posticus??

Will they become a new species or are they a colour variant of distanti?? :unsure:

BR/

Ole

They seem to be right in the middle of the two. No defense odor though.

They seem to be right in the middle of the two. No defense odor though.

You know I've noticed that too. I got mine from Matt a while ago and their behavior is interesting. I actually prefer these guys to either E. posticus or E. distanti.

Have you noticed whether sp. White dig into the substrate like distanti or they stay more visible like posticus?

Are they heavy wing biters like posticus?

Observations on their mating behavior?

BR/

Ole

Have you noticed whether sp. White dig into the substrate like distanti or they stay more visible like posticus?

BR/

Ole

I know Matt would have a better answer since I only have ONE mature specimen and several nymphs almost there (therefore no breeding yet) but so far they remain hidden under the substrate the vast majority of the time. Although I do occasionally see the adult under the egg cartons, it is usually underneath the substrate as well.

Mine tend to dig quite a bit like E. distanti but the adults are more active during the day like posticus adults. I haven't noticed any wing biting yet but I only have five or maybe a few more adults so that might change in a few months when they start pumping out nymphs. I haven't observed any mating behavior as of yet.

BR/

Ole

Thanks for these interesting info. Hope you both will update us as you gain more experience. :unsure:

If you get more photos, you shall be very welcome... :blink:

Did anybody find sp. White in Europe?

I will try my German channels to see if there is any luck over here...

BR/

Ole