Little Yellow Mites In Substrate

Kaddock

There is thousands of little mites near the gut load bowl in my roach enclosure, I hadn't noticed any before, but the bull roach spilled the container and now there is tons! What do I do? :blink: I scooped the largest congregation of them out along with the substrate they were in / on, but now what?

There is thousands of little mites near the gut load bowl in my roach enclosure, I hadn't noticed any before, but the bull roach spilled the container and now there is tons! What do I do? :blink: I scooped the largest congregation of them out along with the substrate they were in / on, but now what?

Sounds like grain mites. They cluster together and look like a flaky mob of little movey thingies, correct?

If so, just lower the humidity.

Sounds like grain mites. They cluster together and look like a flaky mob of little movey thingies, correct?

If so, just lower the humidity.

Yes, precisely. Lower the humidity and they'll just die off? OK. I'll give it a shot. :P

I had some major problems with them last year because I kept the ambient humidity up and misted my whole enclosue; now I keep the food areas strictly dry and when I mist, I make sure it's either absorbed by the substrate or drank by the roaches.

OK. Yeah, I have been misting a lot more lately as I've seen a burst of nymphs, and I wanted to make sure they have water, I will cut back, and just stick with my humidity foam dish for their water, as I haven't noticed a problem around it.

Thanks All! :lol:

I have a species of roach that are very messy, what can I do to cut back on their water mess? I am using the water gel and they must be bathing in it when I am not lookin! :blink:

I would recommend floral foam. You can get it in the indoor plant section at most department stores. Make sure you get the "wet" kind, that actually absorbs water, because I think there is a kind that doesn't. It's usually green and sold in a block. Just cut up a few chunks and place them in a dish, then fill with water until they can't absorb anymore. Way cheaper than using the gel too I would guess.

;)

Yes, right. These mites like humidity and any ANY organic matter. They can spred out in great amounts in a few days. it is surprisengly. Sometimes I saw them on in my roach feeding dish even in dry food. If this food stays for some longer time there...........

So just to clean regulary! :)