American Cockroach

Guest Guest_KreexRamoo_*

Guest Guest_KreexRamoo_*

I have just begun breeding American Cockroaches. I catch them at my accounts (I am an Exterminator).

I was looking for some useful tips on how to take care of them. I have a 10 gal. tank with a tight fitting top. Vasline barrier around the top. A shallow water dish for humidity and drinking. And I have toilet paper rolls and boxes inside for cover. within a week I have collected 2 egg cases and put them in smaller jars which I cut the screw on lids and installed a screen for air circulation to prevent mold as well as a barrier of vasline to prevent escapes. I sepearate the eggs to keep a better count and eye on the young until they get large enough to put in with the adults. Iknow the cases only carry between 14-16 young.

I am only using paper towels on the bottom of the cage. Is their anything better? I figured Id use it simply cause it is easier to clean.

I am breeding them for many reasons. For one I just love observing all insects and I do breed other insects as well. But I am breeding them also to be used for fishing and to sell as pet food. I feed them reg leftover type food on top of cricket food with vit. and minerals.

please let me know if there is anything more I can do to make this hobby simple, fun, and stress free

let me know if there is anything more I can do to make this hobby simple, fun, and stress free

Well... you can always do more but that not ultimately makes it simpler :D .

You're doing well the way you keep them but I wouldn't separate the ootheca: the young ones can be kept the same like the adults and as soon as your culture starts flurishing you will loose the overview anyway :lol: .

You might use a moist substrate (e.g. cocos fibers) and isopodes as dirt/fecal/food remnants remover so that you will have to clean the bin less frequent or even never.

Cricket food is quite an expense... lucky roaches!

You being an exterminator should know that P. americana is one of the roaches which too often is easier to keep than to omit ;) . If you can't breed them, you for sure didn't wash your hands after using insecticides :lol: .

• 3 weeks later...
I have just begun breeding American Cockroaches. I catch them at my accounts (I am an Exterminator).

I was looking for some useful tips on how to take care of them. I have a 10 gal. tank with a tight fitting top. Vasline barrier around the top. A shallow water dish for humidity and drinking. And I have toilet paper rolls and boxes inside for cover. within a week I have collected 2 egg cases and put them in smaller jars which I cut the screw on lids and installed a screen for air circulation to prevent mold as well as a barrier of vasline to prevent escapes. I sepearate the eggs to keep a better count and eye on the young until they get large enough to put in with the adults. Iknow the cases only carry between 14-16 young.

I am only using paper towels on the bottom of the cage. Is their anything better? I figured Id use it simply cause it is easier to clean.

I am breeding them for many reasons. For one I just love observing all insects and I do breed other insects as well. But I am breeding them also to be used for fishing and to sell as pet food. I feed them reg leftover type food on top of cricket food with vit. and minerals.

please let me know if there is anything more I can do to make this hobby simple, fun, and stress free

I saved two periplaneta americana from a glue trap at work about 3 years ago, within 6 months i had a horde of nymphs (and both adults were still alive!). I had them from another full year before releasing them in the woods (i only wanted to save the original two, not keep them). I kept them in a completely empty tupperware with only two toilet paper rolls. I fed them romaine lettuce and dogfood like my other colonies and did not have any deaths despite those conditions, so i think you'd have a hard time NOT having a successful colony here.

Dear Guest_KreexRamoo,

I read that you have started breeding cockroaches. I'm doing a science project involving cockroaches and I was wondering if you are selling the American cockroaches; you're breeding. If so can you please post buying information and approximate shipping time. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Alexis

Dear Guest_KreexRamoo,

I read that you have started breeding cockroaches. I'm doing a science project involving cockroaches and I was wondering if you are selling the American cockroaches; you're breeding. If so can you please post buying information and approximate shipping time. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Alexis

What about the white-eye form of P. americana, can you use those? If you sign in you can use the personal message system to work out what you're looking for.