Blaptica dubia nymph

leo

Recently I bought some extra B.dubia nymphs. 2 of them (3 and 4 instar) have their premature wings totally white and one of them has one of its left legs totally white! They also molted, and it still didn't stop. I really have no idea what this is. I don't think its old exuviae, and a week has past since their last molt. Quite interesting I have to say! The genitalia are slightly deformed i think.

post-962-1259839485_thumb.jpg

Hi

If you're lucky you have piebalds, a recessive mutation causing partial lack of pigmentation :lol: .

No, seriously, I have no idea what it is, might really be a mutation but it could be an infection too (e.g. fungi) or just a mis-development... You could try to breed this two (if it's a pair) and maybe get a new morph? Would be very cool (but I guess that it's not inherited)!

Grüessli

Andreas

Hi

If you're lucky you have piebalds, a recessive mutation causing partial lack of pigmentation :lol: .

No, seriously, I have no idea what it is, might really be a mutation but it could be an infection too (e.g. fungi) or just a mis-development... You could try to breed this two (if it's a pair) and maybe get a new morph? Would be very cool (but I guess that it's not inherited)!

Grüessli

Andreas

it doesn't seem to me its a fungal infection. if its the morph then im damn lucky!the other one is a "blonde" dubia and it has only white developing wings so if it makes up to adulthood ill post a few pics!

these are the newly purchased nymphs,so it could be related with the lack of sufficient nutrition during the first stages of their lives in that horrible pet shop i brought them from.

Ähhh... Why do you support a horrible pet shop :blink: ? Malnutrition really could be an explanation.

Question: The white parts, are they hard or soft like newly molted?

OK, fungi would tendentially increase the white areas but there are very slowly growing species too. But that it's mere speculation.

I keep my fingers crossed for you that it's an inherited mutation :) !

Ähhh... Why do you support a horrible pet shop :blink: ? Malnutrition really could be an explanation.

Question: The white parts, are they hard or soft like newly molted?

OK, fungi would tendentially increase the white areas but there are very slowly growing species too. But that it's mere speculation.

I keep my fingers crossed for you that it's an inherited mutation :) !

just 5 days ago I had 6 snakes 4 lizards so I was desperate to feed them with crickets and mice...greece especially in the cockroach area is still in the middle ages! i want to study entomology so i really want to focus on insects now so i gave all my reptiles to a friend

. I think its probably the last time I'm going there, since now Iv got only a few hemiptera and roaches...

I think its the malnutrition thing.

I now have third nymph with the same colouration!

i will be posting pics of the roaches' development

This can happen if a part of a recently molted nymph is injured, as in a fall or bite from another roach. It's weird how yours is symmetrical though, and could be a different cause then.

i will be postig pics of these guys. now i 've got about 4 of these roaches. i doubt they are bites, since one of them has a totally colorless leg!

also they are very well fed.

about Pharma's question about the texture, it's hard like a normal dubias. some of them are quite fleshy too!

has anybody else encountered the same thing?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...