Guano

Ralph

Has anybody fed this to cave-dwelling species? Or is the other food they get in captivity better for them than their wild diet? Finding a good source of this would be a problem for most people though!

I got a 2 lb. bag of Sunleaves guano a few weeks ago (off ebay) after receiving a tip from a friend of a friend that B. giganteus churn out babies on it. I received it in fine powder form, unexpectedly and have been disappointed in the results so far. I've not experimented with it much as a topping on other foods, but by itself it didn't interest them. I even tried wetting it down some and they seemed to like the liquids, but avoid actually consuming the product. I'll do some more experimenting and let you know.

I got a 2 lb. bag of Sunleaves guano a few weeks ago (off ebay) after receiving a tip from a friend of a friend that B. giganteus churn out babies on it. I received it in fine powder form, unexpectedly and have been disappointed in the results so far. I've not experimented with it much as a topping on other foods, but by itself it didn't interest them. I even tried wetting it down some and they seemed to like the liquids, but avoid actually consuming the product. I'll do some more experimenting and let you know.

Problem is that bought guano is pure decomposed fecal matter, and guano in a cave is not. It is also in a cave topped with coutless bug parts, barfed up half digested bugs, fresh poo, etc. that has roach-edible stuff in it. I say this based on being in a central american cave thigh deep in the stuff once (though did not see many roaches in there either at the time...)

Interesting experiment you have there Peter; I’m curious as to how this will turn out. Are you planning on using it as a substrate for them or just as a food supplement? It’s not something I’d like to try in my colonies since my two breeding cabinets are in my bedroom… that might not be good ;) . I wonder if it is used as a substrate if it will increase or decrease mites, phorids, and all those other little guys that cause problems for some of us.

anyone have any guess as to how chicken manure fresh would work instead of bat guano? as some cave swallows and other birds are seen in videos in caves full of roaches when they collect for bird nest soup, it made me wonder.....