GEEZ roaches can EAT!!!!!

I was reading a post about Hissing Cockaroaches yesterday I think it was,that suggested that they love honey combs. Ok I thought I'll give him one tonight and throw away whats left tomorrow. HE ATE THE WHOLE THING :blink::huh: where'd he put it all???? talk about a veracious appetite. are all Roaches this veracious of eaters or just the Hissing roaches???

ETA. Sorry got ahead of myself meant to put Hissing cockaroaches in the thread title

I was reading a post about Hissing Cockaroaches yesterday I think it was,that suggested that they love honey combs. Ok I thought I'll give him one tonight and throw away whats left tomorrow. HE ATE THE WHOLE THING :blink::huh: where'd he put it all???? talk about a veracious appetite. are all Roaches this veracious of eaters or just the Hissing roaches???

ETA. Sorry got ahead of myself meant to put Hissing cockaroaches in the thread title

...You mean like the breakfast cereal? One piece of that? That's not so much in roach terms....

Courtney, don't you just have one single hisser?! You should try a big bin with several hundred in there!!! Seriously though, of the few species that I own, the hissers do seem to eat the most. I can throw an entire yam or an orange in one of my bins and its gone by morning. I used to keep them really overcrowded and hungry in one big tank, before I knew better, and they'd take down two whole grapefruits in minutes. It was cool to watch. I should have done time lapse photography or something.

By the way, did you figure out if you had a male or female?

Courtney, don't you just have one single hisser?! You should try a big bin with several hundred in there!!! Seriously though, of the few species that I own, the hissers do seem to eat the most. I can throw an entire yam or an orange in one of my bins and its gone by morning. I used to keep them really overcrowded and hungry in one big tank, before I knew better, and they'd take down two whole grapefruits in minutes. It was cool to watch. I should have done time lapse photography or something.

By the way, did you figure out if you had a male or female?

Yep Sir Hiss Alot is a he:) I'ma go get him a lady friend today too. So it begins ::Evil Grin::

sweet, another roach love affair takes off. go sir hiss alot go..... breed like the wind blows! here i was feeling like the odd one out as i only have about a few dozen, down to about a dozen, at a time. good luck, courtney.

I used to keep them really overcrowded and hungry in one big tank, before I knew better, and they'd take down two whole grapefruits in minutes.
Roachman,

Do you mean that you kept them too hungry or that the overcrowdedness was too high?

BR/

Ole

Roachman,

Do you mean that you kept them too hungry or that the overcrowdedness was too high?

BR/

Ole

Both. They all lived in a forty gallon glass tank for many years. They just bred and bred. I really didn't have any insectivores at the time, and nobody wanted any, even for free. (I don't think I'd have that problem today.) They were just packed in there. If you saw it, you might think I was using a two or three inch layer of ROACHES for a substrate! I would throw all manner of food in there all the time, but it would always disappear very quickly. There were just so many mouths to feed. So, to answer your question, they were always hungry AND very over-crowded. I beg the roach gods for forgiveness. I was ignorant. I was lost, but now I am found.

If you saw it, you might think I was using a two or three inch layer of ROACHES for a substrate! I would throw all manner of food in there all the time, but it would always disappear very quickly. There were just so many mouths to feed.
Well, you probably should not bring any pics... It must have been quite a sight.

Do you remember which species was that tolerant towards one another?

BR/

Ole

Well, you probably should not bring any pics... It must have been quite a sight.

BR/

Ole

id love to see pics, though id hope the mass was all alive. i had to put my hissers in a smaller screened cage so as to let them and all their tub stuff air out as i left a can of dog food gravy leftover, in their tub for bout a day or so and it wasnt eaten at at all and a putrid moldy smelling mess. hoping the females dont pop till they clean any mold out of their systems, and off them (seems the mold over took the mold deterring bacteria after it being a prob on and off).

i had to put my hissers in a smaller screened cage so as to let them and all their tub stuff air out as i left a can of dog food gravy leftover, in their tub for bout a day or so and it wasnt eaten at at all and a putrid moldy smelling mess.

I'd be really surprised if they'd eaten much of it at all... that's a lot of protein and fat for a 'roaches meal.

BR/

Ole

They were just regular G. portentosa. Same colony I still have today. I don't have any pics as I didn't have(or want) a camera back then. They have, however, been immortalized on film many times. Do you know the show "HEROES". Remember when they caught Sylar in season one and he was laying on that slab with the roach crawling around him...

They have, however, been immortalized on film many times. Do you know the show "HEROES". Remember when they caught Sylar in season one and he was laying on that slab with the roach crawling around him...
That must have spooked a lot of spectators :lol:

... considering the way many deal with large insects and arachnids...

How is it possible to get one's roaches on the screen??

Did any of them die during the take?

BR/

Ole

That must have spooked a lot of spectators :lol:

... considering the way many deal with large insects and arachnids...

How is it possible to get one's roaches on the screen??

Did any of them die during the take?

BR/

Ole

That's what I do for a living. Not just roaches, but all animals.

I only used one at a time and none of them were hurt.

It creates a bit of a dilemma for me. A lot of my favorite animals are vilified by the film industry and its my job to help them do it. Gotta feed my family, but I hate how they portray roaches, rats, pit bulls, etc... We all know better, but most of the general public doesn't.

I'd be really surprised if they'd eaten much of it at all... that's a lot of protein and fat for a 'roaches meal.

the one time before this last, they demolished it, and you could hear them trying to eat the can, as it was clean as if itd been rinsed, and not even smelled that i recall. they all molted right after that. this time they didnt touch it at all (i usually dont give any of my animals canned food, this was a treat from my family for the carpet sharks). spoiled roaches and their special kitty original dry cat food, they hardly ever even want the ol' roy complete dry anymore (usually its their favorite food).

they are demolishing an orange in about an hour once or twice a week. the swollen females cant get enough for some reason lately. hey, if to much vitamin C and other things in oranges and some other fruits are used in large quantities to kill off things in your system, could to much orange or whatever kill off the beneficial bacteria in roaches?

That's what I do for a living. Not just roaches, but all animals.

I only used one at a time and none of them were hurt.

It creates a bit of a dilemma for me. A lot of my favorite animals are vilified by the film industry and its my job to help them do it. Gotta feed my family, but I hate how they portray roaches, rats, pit bulls, etc... We all know better, but most of the general public doesn't.

how does one go about being an animal wrangler for films and other things? cool job by the way! whats your official business name?