Parcoblatta molt

Maybe once they all reach adulthood I will try what I was going to with the males _ put them in cool darkness for a while and see if they go inactive until I can find a male nymph

Otherwise I will just start over and try again next winter, hopefully with a proper setup and knowledge so they don't escape

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm pretty sure they can last long enough for you to find a replacement.

Hey guys. Found a large one today under some bark. It is around 9 mm in length (much larger than the ones I have) and is a different coloration than the ones I have. I don't think it is the same Sp. but I will be keeping it anyway

I will get pics of the enclosure later. It is just a simple container with potting soil and bark

post-615-1266694402_thumb.jpg

post-615-1266694407_thumb.jpg

post-615-1266694412_thumb.jpg

Kewl! I can't say anything about the species though. Poor thing looks famished!

How can you tell? Lol I have him in a small plastic container with moist wood and some fish flakes. He is just hanging out under the wood right now. I have not decided if I will keep him with my females.

Here is a link to some better (and larger) photos I posted on BG http://bugguide.net/node/view/372485

Check out the ventral. I think this is a male.

One of my females molted into adulthood! :) The wing pads are now the small square wings you described. She looks like either virginica (which is most likely) or lata. Will try for a good photoshoot of her tomorrow. What are the features that identify female Parcoblatta? I know males you have to look under the wings for an arrangement of tiny hairs, but is there something else for females?

I really wish I had one of those males to breed her. I still can't get over how I screwed this up_ three males and three females. What are the chances of finding that perfect number?!

Here is a shot of the adult female. Sorry it is not better, the photographing just did not go as well as planned and the lighting was not good. Now that she is an adult, she can also walk on the walls like the males did. I wonder why they can only do this as adults and not nymphs?

post-615-1266880049_thumb.jpg

She's beautiful! Only adults can climb glass.

Now that she is an adult, she can also walk on the walls like the males did. I wonder why they can only do this as adults and not nymphs?

Neato little 'roach! The reason the adults can climb glass and the nymphs can't it because they don't get the aroleum (a little pad between the claws) until they are adults. At least in this genus.

They might be losing their tarsal pads/claws. Even though most of my adult hissers are missing claws, they don't seem to want to climb glass anyway. Parcoblatta are tricky little things when it comes to wall-scaling!

Even though most of my adult hissers are missing claws, they don't seem to want to climb glass anyway. Parcoblatta are tricky little things when it comes to wall-scaling!

Really that's like watching a race to scale a wall between Jackie Chan vs. Steven Seagal; we should cheer an adult hisser who can actually make it up.

Cute! I think it could use some more actual wood though, but it looks great for a small number!

Lol. I bite mine! Hey, would fingernails have any nutritional benefit for roaches? The keratin?

You really don't need to try very hard to feed a dermestid larva. They eat just about anything and do not need specific things in their diet.

ANYWAY, I found this one under a log today. The pointed wing pads have me thinking male, and the ventral shots seem to confirm. What do you roach guys think?

Thanks

post-615-1267823854_thumb.jpg

post-615-1267823866_thumb.jpg

Most definately a male.