Blaberus giganteus

Got my first adults today. I've only had them since the middle of December and they were fairly small when I got them. They matured much faster than I anticipated. Woo Hoo! :) Should have babies in a couple of months. I noted a large increase in their food intake about three weeks ago. Do they generally eat a lot more just before they molt into maturity?

P.S. I was gonna post pics, but you all know what they look like!

I've noticed fluctuations in their food consumption; it seems like they eat a lot more when females produce new oothecae (makes sense, I guess.)

They're definitely a fun species if you set them up right; I had my first set on the wrong substrate for 8 months with no babies; Switched the substrate, and I had tons of babies a few months later.

Just make sure they get plenty of fruit, but keep them a bit on the dry side.

I've noticed fluctuations in their food consumption; it seems like they eat a lot more when females produce new oothecae (makes sense, I guess.)

They're definitely a fun species if you set them up right; I had my first set on the wrong substrate for 8 months with no babies; Switched the substrate, and I had tons of babies a few months later.

Thanks for the tips. What was the "wrong" substrate? Also, what is the right substrate?

What are you feeding them?? I have 10 females and a male coming next week.

Thanks

I'm feeding Pro-Plan Chicken and Rice dog food, monkey chow, occasional Cheerios and a large assortment of fruits and veggies. I also use water crystals. Don't know if this is right, but so far so good.

Hello,

I started out with five adults one and a half year ago as my first roaches. They sure are my absolute favorites. :lol:

I keep them on dry coconut fiber, some egg cartons and wood. In my experience, they need a lot of protein or they will start to eat eachother. I feed them fruit and vegetables of the season, oatmeal and dryed-out oak leaves. For protein they get dry dog food. They do really well, although I keep them at room themperature, I have about 100 of them now. Some subadult nymphs are so big, my hopes are high to get some 9 cm adults.

You want to make sure not to keep to many of them together or things will get rough in the tub.

Greetings,

Mo

I'm feeding Pro-Plan Chicken and Rice dog food, monkey chow, occasional Cheerios and a large assortment of fruits and veggies. I also use water crystals. Don't know if this is right, but so far so good.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the leaves. I've got two kinds of oak and some maple. They actually munch on them quite a bit.

Hello,

I started out with five adults one and a half year ago as my first roaches. They sure are my absolute favorites. :lol:

I keep them on dry coconut fiber, some egg cartons and wood. In my experience, they need a lot of protein or they will start to eat eachother. I feed them fruit and vegetables of the season, oatmeal and dryed-out oak leaves. For protein they get dry dog food. They do really well, although I keep them at room themperature, I have about 100 of them now. Some subadult nymphs are so big, my hopes are high to get some 9 cm adults.

You want to make sure not to keep to many of them together or things will get rough in the tub.

Greetings,

Mo

Those are excellent tips. Thank you.

• 5 years later...

Thanks for the tips. What was the "wrong" substrate? Also, what is the right substrate?

they also like chilid sticks or fish food as a protien source. they also seem to have a hiarchy and need lots of vert surfaces where the largest ones will claim the top spots. they will for a fact eat one anothers antena and nip wings if they dont have viable protien in their diet... I use coco bark as well but I understood it that they prefered higher humidty.

the babies are.. FAST af... no lie. however my adults though jumpy are mostly pretty chill...

I love this species they are awesome, but they can be kinda tuff I dunno your milage may vary but I dont really think of them as a beginner species.

I believe this species likes a substrate of rotten wood and leaves.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you ever feed them meat??

i give mine small bits of cooked meat occasionally. When I have beef, pork, or chicken leftovers I give most to the Orange heads and it drives them into a frenzy then the Ivories, they love it too but not as much as the latter, then the caves but I'll have to check on them the next day to check for their leftovers. If they have leftovers then it goes to the Orange heads, they'll never turn it down.