Aquatic Isopods

Ralph

I caught 5-6 Asellus sp. of varying ages in a creek today. As I was watching them, I noticed an inch-long adult swim over an apparently subadult juvenile and hold it between its legs in the body arch for several hours. When I looked closer, the legs seem specialized for that purpose (hook-like, with long coxae to box in the young). I observed another big adult do this for a shorter time with another juvenile.

Hi Ralph,

Can you catch a good group of them? I probably have something you'd want for trade. I got some from Carolina a long time ago and don't remember what happened to them. They're still inexpensive but last I checked they charge a lot for shipping including a special live animal fee.

Hm... I'll have to think about that. :P They were very common at the stream I found these in, so catching 20+ wouldn't be hard at all. I am worried about how they'd ship, even carrying them back was rather rough on the little guys.

This morning, one had molted and the big one was still carrying a nymph. Young crustaceans are nymphs, right?

Hm... I'll have to think about that. :P They were very common at the stream I found these in, so catching 20+ wouldn't be hard at all. I am worried about how they'd ship, even carrying them back was rather rough on the little guys.

This morning, one had molted and the big one was still carrying a nymph. Young crustaceans are nymphs, right?

I think they shipped them in a small plastic jar with water. Maybe try putting some in a box they same way you might ship them to see if they can survive a few days?

Young crustaceans are larvae or maybe nauplius.

It's the movement/bumps that worry me, but with enough "padding" that might be neutralized. I'll have to see what my parents think about this though.

UPDATE Apr. 11: One juvenile has died of unknown causes, one or two molted. I'm keeping them in an 8x5 ? Kritter Keeper with about 1 in. of water, wood, mud, and occasional live and dead leaves.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought it'd be worth the double post to say I've got babies!

UPDATE May 18: Two largest ones left, and the babies are about 3mm.

• 1 year later...

If your going to ship them I'd reccomend purchasing some kordon breather bags on aquabid, esp if they're that delicate. At that point you'd pack them just as you might imagine..small styrofoam lined shipping box, possibly a heatpack if weather is frigid, etc.