"Explosive Nature"

NOW I understand what MattK meant by the "explosive nature" of Blatta lateralis populations. Holy Cow! I started with 100 sub-adults just a few months ago. For nearly two months, nothing was happening and I thought something must be wrong. Nothing was wrong, I just had to wait for nature to take its course. I saw my first few babies, just a few weeks ago and now there are thousands. There are dozens of babies in each egg hole on my 12x12" egg flats. I've been culling excess males since they started maturing, but that hasn't made a dent. There are also hundreds if not thousands of ooths on the bin floor, mixed in with the frass. When this batch of babies hits maturity, I'm might be in real trouble. What do these guys do when they really start to get overcrowded? These are my first egg layers, so I hope my Eurycotis decipiens go at this pace when the time comes.

I'm also seeing the more gradual, but constant growth of the lobsters. I started those at the end of January, but it seems like I see more babies in there every day. I actually got to watch one giving birth the other day.

I couldn't have learned about these any other way. I read all about both of them for months before getting them, but there is just no substitute for actual experience.

For my lat colony it was booming like yours, but for some reason recruitment just came to a grinding halt. It happened within a few months after the introduction of a few specimens from So. Cal. I collected and later from AZ. I'm not sure what going on or if it is normal to see that sort of fest/famine pattern. You could always take the route I did when I started ending up with too many hissers... I bought more tarantulas! :rolleyes:

The best way to keep up a colonies momentum is to cull, cull, and cull some more. Every handfull you take out will be replaced by another in no time.

The best way to keep up a colonies momentum is to cull, cull, and cull some more. Every handfull you take out will be replaced by another in no time.

You'd be proud Matt. Most of my colonies are pretty light on males. I've also got some very fat and happy lizards and spiders.