Gromphadorhina sp. holotype photo available?

Hi

I wonder whether there are photos of the different Gromphadorhina sp. available online. I just could find the one of G. portentosa.

And are there original descriptions available (I love these old ink drawings, they say more than photographs) or a listing of the differences as originally stated?

I do have pretty much of a difficulty to see the species differences (color excluded!) even though I know them (some) in theory*.

A rough sketch indicating exactly the important ones would help me too.

* These bumps/dimples, the 'pinched together' pronotum, setae, horn angle etc. but I just can't see it clearly (either I need new glasses, I'm just stupid, or I only have G. portentosa or some kind of hybrids).

Grüessli

Andreas

Hi Orin

That's the one photo I found :D .

I know that P. vanwaerebeki is believed to be a local form of G. portentosa (quod es demonstrandum) but this is not my real issue. Besides, I know that no one could ever find a difference in male genitalia.

I wonder whether there are such photos or sketches for the other Gromphadorhina sp. like G. oblongata and G. grandidieri maybe even in direct comparison with G. portentosa.

Grüessli

Andreas

Every G. grandidieri picture I ever saw looked absolutely the same like G. portentosa on my computer screen, just with that uniform dark brown. I do have some individuals beneath my G. portentosa looking pretty much the same *LOL*. Some say that here in Europe we have the G. portentosa color-morph 'G. grandidieri', the true G. grandidieri (maybe), and G. portentosa 'Black' (and presumably no one who can tell them apart).... it's a mess and that's why I ask for holotype photos and original descriptions with sketches.

Or maybe someone skilled will paint me a 'comic' :D , but black&white please!

Uppsss... and I fround the "True" G. grandidieri photos of wild living specimens on the blattodea species file site.