Macropanesthia rhinoceros

vardoulas

You are very fortunate to have a couple of those! I hope they keep doing well.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

thanks for the help!

appreciated

one more question.

i have two of these.

they are both from the same clutch and are kept in the same enclosure yet the other one is much smaller.

could this be evidence of different sex?

do females grow slower than males?

will try and take some photos of the other one and post them here.

In my experience siblings grow at different rates but usually shed within a week or two of eachother. Females seem to grow slower once close to maturity but young nymphs seem to grow at the same rate.

how about you try to give them a deep substrate "9 inches" and close the top of the tank you are keeping them in with plexiglass or lexan and mount a 15 or 25 watt lightbulb inside.

they may grow faster than you think.

the biotype these live in is hot!! and dry on the surface but it is cooler down in the soil "way down" where they live.

roaches are ectotherms and live and breed at a range of diffrent temps. If you give them heat, food and water they will be in perpectual spring/summer mode.

But not too much heat...asetivation would occur.

i'm a firm believer of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it"

i'm keeping these alive the last 3 years, and i don't think i'll change the way i do it.

we have many months with high temps here in greece, so no external heating is used.

I keep them in a semi-tall plastic ikea box with aprox 7 cm substrate and a thick layer of dried oak and quercus coccifera leaves.

During the first 2 years they spend 90% of their time in tunnels underground but lately they are always on top.

Vardoulas.

Why don't you try it with a pair? and keep the others the way you have them now?

I had pretty cool results doing that method with crickets..and then I applided it to the slower growing species and things got very interesting.

Vardoulas.

Why don't you try it with a pair? and keep the others the way you have them now?

I had pretty cool results doing that method with crickets..and then I applided it to the slower growing species and things got very interesting.

I only have two specimens so no room for experiments.

Thanks for the advise though, appreciated.

@Hibiscusmile

The photos in the first post where hosted in a server that went down.

If you're interested in seeing more photos you can find them at www.arthropoda.gr

• 4 weeks later...