Jumping Bristletails

blatta70

I've attempted these several times in the past. Keep them with around an inch of dirt/substrate, plenty of rotting wood, dead leaves, rocks, and low-growing plants. As for moisture, very frequent watering seems to kill them, but don't let it dry out for long.They get stressed out very easily.

I caught a handful of them on dry rocks about 30 feet from waterfall last month, but neglected to move them into a container with holes in it after I got home (they weren't my target species for the trip, but just an unexpected side note). They were dead a week later, possibly from too much humidity, lack of air, or a combination thereof.

I'd be very interested to learn more about culturing them, especially since I can find them in an area I go to a few times each year.

What's your particular interest with them? Feeder? Interesting!

(I love your culture list, Ralph!)

I caught a handful of them on dry rocks about 30 feet from waterfall last month, but neglected to move them into a container with holes in it after I got home (they weren't my target species for the trip, but just an unexpected side note). They were dead a week later, possibly from too much humidity, lack of air, or a combination thereof.

I'd be very interested to learn more about culturing them, especially since I can find them in an area I go to a few times each year.

What's your particular interest with them? Feeder? Interesting!

(I love your culture list, Ralph!)

Peter,

I am interested in them do to their primitive nature especially since they possess both abdominal styli (vestigially reduced swimmerets) and coxal exites (remnants of external gill attachments) both of which are common features found in Branchiopod crustaceans. Thanks for your interest.

Mark