YES! Finally found some!

vfox

I put the images above on bugguide ID request and I am now going to include these. This is the under wing and leg shots that people seem to use to differentiate Parcoblatta. It's very hard for me to make much out, but if I'm looking at the correct structures (triangular) then this is Parcoblatta virginica...correct?

160a6jc.jpg

2u9iszp.jpg

24cgtgj.jpg

The leg structure...someone mentioned something about using this as an identifier I think...meh.

1tady9.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some better shots of the underwing. I actually don't see much to identify it...I hope someone can help me out here, lol. I have it on bugguide too, fingers crossed.

mj1qja.jpg

6ozybs.jpg

Wow, cant wait to get some myself! oh are they climbers?

Only the adults can climb, the nymphs are not capable of it. The adult males can fly too but I've never had any try it.

More images for John Carlson to look at over on bug guide. I really hope he can tell me what species of Parcoblatta this is with these images. This is the "hair" patch on the back between the wings at 60 and 200x.

34ra7lv.jpg

n550m1.jpg

With the shots I provided on BugGuide Mr. Carlson moved this to Parcoblatta virginica. So those new little brownish Parcoblatta are certainly virginica. :)

I hope I have a female amongst those nymphs!

Just an update, another ootheca was deposited and another male molted out.

I checked on my overwintering bunch btw...major death toll from that experiment. I saved the five survivors and put them into my heated colony, they seem fine now but overwintering cost me 12 bodies.

I'm curious why because they had food and water gel...

Lol.

Another update. I spied this somewhat newly molted adult female Parcoblatta virginica in the enclosure today! I'm sorry for the atrocious image, but you get the idea, lol. That gives me 2-3 males and one female of them, hopefully I can separate them from the P. pennsylvanica tonight and get them to breed.

2ev4spx.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I went out yesterday while it was 65F here and found another P. pennsylvanica and two P. virginica. The P. virginica were under some sheet metal and the P. pennsylvanica (found two but only caught one) were in a rotting tree inside an old ant cavity. I like my woods lol. :)

Wow I messed up! I lost all of my P. virginica and 5 of my 7 P. pennsylvanica adult males! I let them get too dry and the males are just too delicate to deal with it. I made them damp again and closed off most of the vent to prevent this again.

My females are fine, 3 virginica and 3 pennsylvanica but the males have been decimated by my negligence. The nymphs are still okay but man, what a screw up that was.

Wow I messed up! I lost all of my P. virginica and 5 of my 7 P. pennsylvanica adult males! I let them get too dry and the males are just too delicate to deal with it. I made them damp again and closed off most of the vent to prevent this again.

My females are fine, 3 virginica and 3 pennsylvanica but the males have been decimated by my negligence. The nymphs are still okay but man, what a screw up that was.

Ouch. I lost my P. pennsylvanica colony to too much heat and moisture; it's trial and error but thankfully we both had other stock to fall back on. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I found another P. virginica nymph today...well I found like six but I could only grab one lol. I then separated them out from my P. pennsylvanica into their own little enclosure. Happily new males of both species molted out and I've seen at least six ootheca in my P. pennsylvanica tank and noticed a P. virginica extending a teeny tiny ootheca when I was moving them.

I think I have the humidity issues fixed and I'm hoping for many babies in the next two months or so. I really prize these guys because of how few of us actually have them in culture and the fact that they are a truly native species, not an introduced one. People always seem to ignore native fauna for some reason, I'm lovin it though.

After an unsuccessful roach hunting mission in Louisiana my Periplaneta died. Sent myself back some nice oak leaves and wood, the leaves get wet and gross were I live. Well was breaking up the oak wood and out popped a roach kept looking and there was 10 parcoblatta yeah. What parcoblatta are native to Louisiana? So excited its hilarious because found no roaches while hunting. What a great hobby!!

After an unsuccessful roach hunting mission in Louisiana my Periplaneta died. Sent myself back some nice oak leaves and wood, the leaves get wet and gross were I live. Well was breaking up the oak wood and out popped a roach kept looking and there was 10 parcoblatta yeah. What parcoblatta are native to Louisiana? So excited its hilarious because found no roaches while hunting. What a great hobby!!

Awesome! Got any pics? What size/color are they and are they adults or nymphs?

Well want to get pics theses guys fast. Going to wait until I have more before putting a couple in the fridge for a photo shoot. They are all nymphs from the atchafalaya swamp in central Louisiana. Have darker spots on abdomen then the pics I've seen. Very exciting!

Well want to get pics theses guys fast. Going to wait until I have more before putting a couple in the fridge for a photo shoot. They are all nymphs from the atchafalaya swamp in central Louisiana. Have darker spots on abdomen then the pics I've seen. Very exciting!

It's pretty hard to say until they mature, you'll need to keep us updated. Also what type of Periplaneta are we talking? I've got 25+ P. americana normal morphs, if you need some nymphs I should have several dozen within another month or so. Plus if my new white eyes decide to finally lay an ootheca I should have spare of those in a few months.

They were Americana. Couldve collected more but honestly ghetto roaches gross me out lol. All my roaches are pampered clean and live better than a lot of people. Go to new Orleans a lot next time going to have my pocket net on me instead of running around restaurant bathrooms with a tupperware that I borrowed from the waiter quite a site. Best part was when I was collecting and a roach flew into a bystanders hoodie hood from the ceiling. There I was with a tupperware full laughing. Laptop down no pics arg. These natural setups driving me crazy sure the roaches like it but trying to monitor their progress is hard. Saw one today hoping for best.

• 1 month later...

Well I just let my dog out and noticed an insect crawling on a piece of plywood leaning against my workshop. I walked over with my phones' light and saw it was a roach. I've never seen one quite like it...it looks just like a sub adult P. pennsylvanica but it's jet black with a white band on the edge of it's pronotum. It may just be a color morph but either way it's in my collection now, lol.

• 1 month later...

Just a long overdue update. The black sub-adult matured into a crazy-looking black female...unfortunately all of my males are dead. I have one other female and a sub-adult in the tank, I'm hoping that one turns into a male. Anyway...no babies yet but I'll update again when the ootheca finally hatch.