Males of unrelated species fighting?

vfox

Okay so I have a tank of 4 species of which only two are matured. The matured species are discoids and dubias; I've never had issues cohabitating them before so I'm a little perplexed right now. The males of both species seemed fine until I started noticing a big decline in the male dubias. I've started noticing male dubia wings, but the females are fine. The discoids are fine and I've never noticed fighting amongst any of them.

Has anyone ever experienced males of two different species being combative when females of either species are sexually receptive? Basically are the pheromones of different species similar enough to create combat in males of both? The discoids would obviously stronger than the dubias so the questions remains whether it's fighting or old age and an untimely large die off.

There is not much in the way of crowding, the numbers are not overbearing and there is plenty of food so neither of those seem to be an issue.

Interesting. When I was down to my last and freakishly longlived craniifer, I put him in with the hissers to save space. The females and nymphs were fine with him, but the males would butt, kick, and try to bite him like they would a conspecific. As for your situation, I wouldn't think Blaptica and Blaberus would have too similar pheromones (I may be wrong), but competition over food is a possibility. It seems like roaches would rather fight over it than find a new food item even if it's plentiful.

Interesting. When I was down to my last and freakishly longlived craniifer, I put him in with the hissers to save space. The females and nymphs were fine with him, but the males would butt, kick, and try to bite him like they would a conspecific. As for your situation, I wouldn't think Blaptica and Blaberus would have too similar pheromones (I may be wrong), but competition over food is a possibility. It seems like roaches would rather fight over it than find a new food item even if it's plentiful.

I think males of most Blaberidae will fight each other. I think it would happen among members of other families too.

• 1 year later...